Legal Advocates provide legal aid to refugees and asylum seekers and work either remote or in the field.
There are three different roles that make up our team of Legal Advocates:
1) Field Advocates provide free legal aid to refugees and asylum seekers in Greece. Advocates Abroad has field missions on Samos, Chios, Lesvos, Leros, and in Athens and Thessaloniki.
2) Remote Advocates will be providing support to Advocates’ operations in the Remote Research Team and/or Remote Intake Team. The Remote Intake Team monitors and processes all incoming messages from refugees, asylum seekers and third parties over email and supports Advocates’ operations by operating its Legal Aid Hotline. The minimum required availability is 5 hours per week, with a minimum commitment of three months.
3) Remote Research Advocates work on country condition reports and a variety of projects related to European and international standards and practices applicable to asylum and immigration issues and related human rights issues in Europe and beyond.
Please specify which position you are applying for as part of your application.
The successful completion of Advocates’ mandatory training program is part of the recruitment process. The training program includes a standard 30 hours of self-study and online training and assessment sessions for both Field and Remote Advocates. Research Advocates have a separate 5 hour self-study program.
- Applications without attached cover letter will not be considered.
- Minimum mission duration for all field positions is four (4) weeks, full-time - shorter term missions on exceptional basis for highly experienced asylum law attorneys and experts.
- Long term volunteers are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Advocates is a fully volunteer-based organization and is unable to reimburse expenses made for travel to and accommodation while working in the field.
- Advocates provides limited reimbursements for operational expenses made during a field mission.
About Advocates Abroad
Advocates Abroad is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to humanitarian aid in crisis zones.
Advocates, both field & remote, are local & foreign attorneys, interpreters, asylum experts and medical professionals.
Since 2016, Advocates teams have been trained and deployed to various locations to provide critical legal aid to thousands of refugees and asylum seekers in the EU and Middle East.
Advocates Abroad does not accept any form of compensation from any refugee or asylum seeker for any service provided.
Advocates Abroad serves all refugees and asylum seekers in need, without discrimination of background or identity.