POSITION OBJECTIVE: The Vice President, US Oncology Sales is a key leadership position within the Athenex Oncology Commercial Organization. This person will be responsible for leading a field-based team of Region Business Directors, and Territory Managers as well as headquarter based Sales Operations and Sales Training. The successful candidate will contribute in-depth sales leadership expertise and work closely with internal stakeholders. This position will be responsible for increasing sales, exceeding sales targets, and will ultimately be accountable for the overall success of the US Sales Team, which will require build-out in 2020.
As the Head of US Sales, this individual will be a member of the Senior Commercial Leadership Team. They will collaborate closely with the Heads of Marketing, Market Access and other senior-level executives across the organization to ensure a tightly integrated and strongly executed Commercial Launch Plan required to maximize opportunity. This role will report to the Senior Vice President, Global Oncology.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Launch lead for Sales Force Readiness (lead within cross-functional team, shape/hire sales team, prepare & execute launch)
- Collaborate with cross-functional brand leadership team and critical field-based business leaders to develop and execute national sales strategies and tactics for the oncology portfolio in a highly coordinated fashion
- Collaborate with the senior leadership team to translate brand strategies into actionable tactics for the sales force and develop standards across regions to measure success
- Partner with Regional Business Directors and key business partners to develop field business plans designed to meet or exceed brand objectives
- Oversee Sales Operations and collaborate with business partners to develop, communicate, and implement sales forecasts, sales call plans, key account plans, and sales incentive plans
- Oversee sales and operations data to monitor sales progress and develop corrective plans to improve sales force effectiveness & efficiency
- Oversee Sales Operations with respect to onboarding, training and development of all sales personnel in a professional and complaint manner
- Analyze financial metrics of sales organization effectiveness, including budgeting, allocation/deployment of resources, return on investment strategies, etc.
- Create a high-performance work environment which builds accountability at all levels in the organization through empowerment, involvement and collaboration
- Foster an environment where new ideas, alternative strategies and innovative thinking are valued and explored, while remaining compliant to Company and industry standards
- Must be available for up to 50% national travel.
- Other duties as assigned
Lead talent development for the US sales organization:
- Drive mastery of requisite skills (business, selling skills, therapeutic understanding, territory management, etc.) of the sales organization by partnering with Sales Training to identify key areas for development and creating appropriate curriculum
- Ensure field force has completed appropriate training to ensure compliance to Athenex Oncology training standards
- Establish and maintain relationships with key business accounts
- Provide leadership for field management to ensure the recruitment, retention and development of a diverse pool of talent at all levels of the organization
- Lead career development and succession planning forums for all levels of the sales organization, partnering across commercial organization and with HR team.
- Demonstrate strong partnering and collaboration skills to ensure alignment of efforts across field-based teams
Required Education & Qualifications
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, or life science field with at least 12 years’ experience in the Biopharmaceutical industry, in key biopharmaceutical Marketing, Market Access & Sales Leadership roles (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered). Oncology/Hematology or rare disease experience preferred
- Proven track record of success in marketing and sales in biopharmaceutical sales as a sales representative and sales manager/regional sales director is required.
- Excellent direct people management / leadership experience, including prior experience leading management teams is required
- Strong ability to communicate, collaborate & coordinate with leaders of all relevant, cross-functional field-based teams
- Experience related to launch of oncology products
- Effective communications skills for dealing with diverse internal and external audiences
- Proven track record of recruiting and developing high caliber individuals and building teams that communicate well and execute efficiently
- Ability to lead, develop, coach and engage high performing, diverse teams is required
- Ability to clearly articulate a vision, implement change and inspire others to follow
- Ability to make decisions based on available data
- Demonstrate good judgment, ethical behavior, decisiveness, strategic vision, and exceptional interpersonal skills
- Strength in analysis, critical decision making and bottom line accountability
- Exhibit knowledge of, and adhere to, all applicable healthcare laws and regulations, industry practices and Athenex Oncology policies related to product marketing and promotion
- Must be able to effectively manage internal communications and the relationship with the Heads of Marketing, Market Access and other senior-level executives across the organization
- Must be able to externally manage the relationship with business partners, alliances and collaborations with vendors, suppliers and partners and other service providers
- Must be available for up to 50% national travel.
Athenex is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Athenex is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please notify HR and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.