Senior Buyer Planner
POSITION OBJECTIVE: The Senior Buyer Planner position is a key role within the APS manufacturing site as well as a strategic member of the Supply Chain team. The Senior Buyer Planner is responsible for planning the availability of production materials as well as securing the required site services and supplies needed for APS operations. The Senior Buyer Planner negotiates and coordinates with suppliers on pricing, quantities, delivery dates, directly placing purchase orders and resolving issues. The position requires collaboration cross-functionally with various internal stakeholders to ensure effective, efficient, and timely material planning and inventory management as well as the support services for the operation. The Senior Buyer Planner is responsible for ensuring procurement processes are established and maintained for risk mitigation, SOX compliance, continuous improvement, cost-reduction, supplier performance and KPI management. The Senior Buyer Planner is responsible for maintenance of purchasing and planning information as part of the total supply chain processes in the QAD ERP system.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Support the organization in all aspects of the supply chain with focus and emphasis on buying and material planning. Ensure risk mitigation plans are in place for key materials for continuous supply. Works closely with supplier quality management and participates in risk mitigation evaluation and planning. Anticipate and communicate potential problems and quickly develop and execute mitigation plan.
- In collaboration with the Manager of Inventory, is responsible for setting inventory policies for inventory levels of material to support APS operations.
- Manage and maintain a robust SOX compliant procurement process for APS. Ensure requisitions, purchase orders and supporting documentation follows approved processes, signing authority matrix and purchasing policy guidelines set by Finance senior management.
- Ensure material availability and the achievement of business value and inventory targets. Evaluate material needs and purchase materials to support manufacturing site activities and production schedules. Maintain purchase order status and shipment tracking information. Provide suppliers logistics information when placing purchase orders. For goods coming from outside the US, prepare international purchase orders following trade compliance regulations. Monitor status of open purchase orders to completion.
- Incorporate continuous improvement practices in daily work. Work with suppliers to reduce costs, improve quality and ensure timely flow of material. Drive total cost reduction in the procurement of goods and services for the site without compromising quality.
- Ensure required supply, quality of material, order accuracy and competitive pricing through careful relationship management with suppliers. Ensure effective relationship management with suppliers to position APS for operational success. Responsible for supplier visits and monitoring supplier performance. Develop and maintain supplier scorecard process. Work closely with Quality, Engineering and Production to resolve supplier issues.
- Negotiate with suppliers to deliver value to the company. Work closely with Legal on contracts required for site operations. Oversee and maintain system to track contracts for goods and services at APS.
- Work closely with Legal and key suppliers to establish supply agreements to ensure continuous supply of select items for important commercial production. Manage and maintain supply agreement process.
- Perform the function of material planning for production materials. Determine item planning and procurement parameters and maintain data in QAD ERP system to ensure robust MRP system. Responsible for reviewing material requirements planning data and deciding when to order, expedite and delay or cancel materials.
- Facilitate procurement of chemicals and supplies for the laboratory and site. Oversee the system to maintain an adequate inventory of these items to support activities for APS.
- Participate in the regular MRB review meetings for non-conforming, excessive and obsolete inventory at the site. Resolve procurement assigned supplier related issues quickly and develop improvement plans for under-performing suppliers.
- Oversee item numbering process and master data information for inventoried items. Accountable for direct input of accurate, timely and consistent information into QAD. Work closely with site Engineering, Planning and Inventory management to ensure effective change control process for materials. Coordinate item changes with product and BOM changes minimizing obsolescence. Introduce new suppliers and new items in support of product development. Ensure proper lifecycle management of item numbers.
- Manage procurement processes and procedures. Review and revise SOPs to streamline and to improve current practices.
- Prepare procurement planning information and item costs to support yearly budget preparation and standard costs as required by Finance.
- Participate and contribute to site and departmental KPIs.
- Evaluate the global supplier market to source new suppliers who can meet business needs.
- Investigate and resolve invoicing issues in a timely manner with Accounts Payable.
- Other projects as may be assigned.
Required Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business or supply chain discipline or equivalent experience
- Five years or more of combined purchasing or planning experience required – FDA regulated environment a plus
- Five years of experience with ERP and MRP systems required.
- Three to five years of experience with purchasing raw materials, packaging components and operational supplies. International purchasing experience a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning skills with the ability to work seamlessly as part of a team or independently.
- Negotiation experience required.
- Highly detail oriented and organized in work.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong supply chain process background with proven track record of accuracy and compliance.
- Strong ability to collaborate and build strategic relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Must have a valid drivers license for travel to local sites and facilities.
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and keen to improve processes and overcome inefficiencies.
- Knowledge of cGMPs and relevant FDA Regulations
- Demonstrated ability of working in a developing environment balanced with an ability to establish plans and drive results
- Problem solving abilities suitable for handling complex issues associated with global supply
- Demonstrated ability and flexibility to work with aggressive and changing timelines, with limited information and without defined absolutes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel with ability to extract data, create spreadsheets for analyzing data and creating reports for review.
Athenex is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Athenex is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please notify HR and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.