Payroll & Stock Plan Manager
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Responsible for biweekly and weekly payroll processing for a growing, multi-state organization. Administers the company’s equity plans for all employees in the U.S. including equity award data entry to the stock plan administration platform, processing restricted stock releases, stock option exercises and ESPP purchases and provide education/information for the ESPP enrollment and monitoring 10B5-1 plans. This position will work closely with the Human Resources, Accounting and Finance teams to ensure stock administration and payroll processes are compliant with the company’s compensation policies and procedures, Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) and federal, state, and local laws and regulations in all applicable jurisdictions.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Develop, review, and implement best practices to improve payroll and equity administration processes.
- Oversee and coordinate all facets of payroll processing for employees in multiple states utilizing Dayforce.
- Oversee and manage company’s payroll state tax registrations, including registrations in new states.
- Interpret company pay policies, e.g., vacation, LOA, disability, workers comp, government regulations, withholding exemptions and ensures appropriate deductions are calculated and applied in a multi-state payroll environment.
- Act as contact or manage 3rd party support for employees with payroll related concerns and/or questions.
- Proactively identify and resolve payroll discrepancies and determines most appropriate method of communication to employees. Support employee understanding of equity awards and company programs and policies.
- Track and report W-2 income from stock exercises and dispositions.
- Stay up to date on changing legal requirements, taxation, and compliance regulations to ensure accuracy and timeliness of all payroll related duties.
- Create and maintain the Payroll/General Ledger (PR/GL) interface to account for payroll expenses including salaries, taxes, and other benefits.
- Ensure that payroll and stock plan administration operations are conducted in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley internal controls and performs corresponding process controls.
- Ensure all participant equity plan transactions (grants, exercises, terminations, leaves, etc.) are correctly processed in a timely manner. Work closely with outside service providers, such as our equity systems vendor, transfer agent, and broker service providers.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality at all times related to compensation information.
- Manage 3rd party payroll and stock plan related vendor relationships.
- Review, distribute and reconcile quarterly and annual, federal, and state, payroll tax returns, W-2s, 3921 and 3922 tax forms.
- Participate in and provides documentation for payroll, 401k, and benefit audits; assists with annual 401k 5500 non-discrimination testing.
- Maintain payroll files and records in accordance with company and regulatory requirements.
- Preparation, administration, and auditing of payroll for all hourly and salaried employees.
- Ensure accurate benefits entry in systems, and reconciliation of year-end requirements. Includes but not limited to 401(k) administration, Stock Plan administration, Benefits and HSA account administration and audit participation.
- Work closely with the Finance team to prepare the salary, vacation and bonus related journal entries and reconciliations.
- Present information directly and through vendors to employees regarding the ESPP enrollment.
- Process all equity related transactions, including releases, exercises, and ESPP purchases.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Human Resources; may consider experience in lieu of degree
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years related experience in payroll processing for a publicly traded company with a focus on multi-state operations
- Minimum of 3 years stock administration related experience.
- Strong understanding of Federal and multi-state wage and hour regulations and payroll tax filing procedures.
- Thorough understanding of the payroll aspects of stock-based compensation and 401(k) plans.
- Payroll subject matter expertise to advise the company, including knowledge of best practices regarding reimbursement of relocation expenses, taxable fringe benefits, sales commissions, and auto allowances. •
- Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance experience.
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Word and Outlook. Strong Excel skills required.
- Experience with Dayforce HCM is a plus.
- Experience with international stock and payroll administration a plus.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of SOX compliance requirements to ensure documentation, testing, reporting, and monitoring of payroll and equity plan records are compliant with the Act.
- A compliance and process-oriented individual who is flexible and can excel in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment with a sense of urgency.
- Willing and able to get your "hands dirty" and have a strong work ethic to complete projects successfully.
- Team-oriented, dependable and can maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, highly confidential environment.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and internal/external partners to resolve confidential and often sensitive issues related to compensation with employees.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities and Excel skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Energy, enthusiasm, and follow-up skills necessary to drive results.
- Positive work ethic for a growing team environment.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Occasional travel may be required.
Athenex is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
Athenex is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please notify HR and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.