Barn Sanctuary seeks a self-motivated, goal-oriented, committed, and highly organized development professional with a proven record of success in building fundraising programs and in securing major gifts at the five and six-figure level. The primary responsibility of the Development Director is to oversee all of Barn Sanctuary’s fundraising and development activities. This includes securing small, major and planned gifts, developing meaningful donor relationships, fostering donor care, organizing special events and grant writing.
We seek a Development Director with strong donor stewardship and major donor experience. An ideal candidate should know how to build powerful personal relationships, and have a wholesome understanding of the role event fundraising plays. The Development Director must also be data-oriented (able and familiar with using data to build impact and evaluation reports) and have experience using current fundraising software.
- Secure major fundraising gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations
- Maintain donor data and contacts in Barn Sanctuary’s database to ensure complete and accurate information on all donors and prospects
- Develop and execute a comprehensive fundraising plan to meet or exceed annual fundraising goals
- Conduct personal donor visits with Barn Sanctuary’s executive staff to develop relationships with major donors and prospects
- Work with colleagues to identify and pursue new donors and sources of revenue
- Maintaining an advanced knowledge and understanding of development techniques and fundraising best practices to interact with donors and their advisors on charitable gifts
- Preparing and running all Barn Sanctuary fundraising campaigns in collaboration with marketing and programs departments.
- Develop, maintain and analyze metrics of annual fundraising goals
- Ensure development expenses are in line with budget
- Recommend best practices to the Executive Director and board and facilitate development training for members of the board, staff and volunteers as needed
- Oversee all grant research, grant writing and funder relationship management
- Manage all aspects of the annual fund
- Oversee the planning and coordination of special events, including fundraising events and awareness events
- Ensure donor retention through a stewardship plan that includes appropriate gift acknowledgement and recognition
- Recruit, train and support key volunteers for special event planning and other development and communication activities
- Organize and maintain efficient operational procedures and record-keeping, including maintaining the donor management system and timely gift acknowledgement
- Bachelor’s degree and specialized training in fundraising practices or equivalent experience
- Minimum 3 years’ of progressively responsible development experience with proven success in building fundraising programs and in securing major gifts at the five and six-figure level required
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to build and foster relationships and demonstrating a commitment to Barn Sanctuary’s mission, objectives, and core values
- Demonstrated experience engaging and building relationships with prospects and donors
- The ability to communicate Barn Sanctuary’s mission and vision
Please upload your application packet, combined into a single PDF, which includes each of these documents in the following order: a cover letter, resume/cv, and a list of at least three professional references. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Barn Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer that strictly prohibits discrimination against any employee, independent contractor, volunteer, or applicant for any position because of an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other characteristic protected by law.