Barn Sanctuary is dedicated to rescuing and rehabilitating abused and neglected farmed animals by creating a safe haven where these individuals can recover, thrive, and serve as an example for why we strive to lead society towards a plant-based lifestyle.
The Shelter Director will play an integral leadership role on the Barn Sanctuary team. The Shelter Director must be an experienced manager and animal care provider. Duties include managing the operations of our shelter team (supervising 3 full-time caregivers and our facilities staff). The Shelter Director will oversee our animal care and rescue programs and ensure quality, life-long care for the 120 animal rescues at Barn Sanctuary.
- Manage animal care and shelter staff
- Management of animal care schedules and charting, health checks, feed and supply ordering, and database
- Taking on regular animal caregiver shifts
- Training and supervising animal caregivers as assigned
- Scheduling vet visits and animal transportation
- Researching new treatment options for various conditions
- Working with veterinarians to develop treatment protocols, etc.
- Maintaining staff schedules
- Assisting in the planning for the department budget
- Developing, maintaining and executing procedures and policies for safe, responsible rescue, travel and on-site care.
- Expanding and overseeing adoptions
- Ensuring the safety and life-long care of each resident at the sanctuary
- Working with humane educators to ensure the use of accurate stories and information
- Develop safety and security protocols for the sanctuary and ensure these protocols are practiced by the shelter staff and communicated with Barn Sanctuary staff, volunteers and visitors
- Representing Barn Sanctuary well at community events and with our veterinary partners
- Giving occasional tours of the sanctuary
- Assist with the Executive Director in planning for and maintaining the shelter budget
- Preparing reports for the Executive Director and Board
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with other sanctuaries
- Previous animal experience is required
- Minimum two years management experience
- Minimum two years experience at animal care facility
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Reliability and attention to detail is essential
- Strong organizational skills; proven ability to manage multiple priorities and projects in fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work well with variety of people
- Team player and able to monitor and report on all shelter staff duties
- Very reliable and dependable
- Positive attitude
- Commitment to Barn Sanctuary’s animal care policies and organizational programs and goals
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
- Compliance with a vegan lifestyle while on the premises is required.
Additional Experience Sought
- Animal shelter and managerial experience.
- Experience with large animals is a giant plus.
- Capacity and certifications to conduct lab work a plus.
- Full-time, exempt (salaried) position
- Reports to the Executive Director
- Work schedule varies; regular weekend and holiday availability required
- Some evening hours required
- The job requires significant physical work
- Occasional travel may be required to assist with transport for animal adoptions or rescues
- Competitive compensation and benefits, including health insurance and flexible paid time off
Apply on this page. Include a cover letter with at least two references.
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Barn Sanctuary is an equal opportunity employer that strictly prohibits discrimination against any employee, independent contractor, volunteer, or applicant for any position because of an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other characteristic protected by law.