At BearingPoint, the Product Owner is a key member of the scrum team on projects to develop, configure and enhance solutions for our clients. The Product Owner understands the vision for the solution and conveys that vision to the scrum team. They also manage and prioritise the product backlog. The Product Owner works closely with business representatives to understand and document the business requirements and communicates these to the scrum teams.
Individuals who join BearingPoint as Product Owners are given the experience, training and mentoring to build a career in management and technology consulting.
You will be expected to work on site on a variety of client projects. The PO owns the team backlog and maximizes value for the client and for the vendor. The PO is responsible for understanding the client requirements, structuring and documenting them. The PO works with the solution architect and lead developer to find the most efficient way to fulfill the client requirements. They will get approval from the client for the proposed design and once it is approved, work closely with the client and scrum team to ensure the product vision is realised.
You will work across industries and capabilities, as your career progresses, to become a specialist.
Typical activities for a Product Owner include:
- Working as an integral part of a scrum team in a client-facing role
- Organising, facilitating and leading client workshops to gather the solution requirements
- Documenting functional requirements as user stories
- Gathering and documenting non-functional requirements
- Understanding the business and project goals and priorities
- Challenging clients requirements and vision in order to detect what the client really needs
- Scope management to ensure successful delivery of the project
- Prioritize the backlog together with the client and development team
- Maintain a sufficient backlog to support the development process
- Communicate the vision and requirements to the development team and support the Agile processes (daily scrum, estimation, etc)
- Ensure functional and non-functional quality by defining adequate acceptance criteria
- Working with solution architects and developers to formulate solution design
- Working with developers to design a prototype of proposed solution
- Demo’ing prototypes to clients to get feedback on the solution
- Leads product owner teams including some project management activities
- Developing training materials and delivering training
- Develops strong relationships with client representatives, team members and peers.
- Provides support for the development of quality deliverables.
- Provides operational support to projects as needed.
- Supports business development and proposal efforts by gathering general proposal content and/or supporting the development of cost proposals.
- Supports, and may contribute directly to, engagement financial activities.
- Manages own time and expenses involved in work.
- Supports own Performance Management and Continuous Professional Development Process (goals, reviews, engagement reviews, career development).
- Participates in recruiting activities.
Essential characteristics for candidates:
- Third level qualification in Information Technology or a related field
- A minimum of 5-years’ experience as a product owner or systems analyst in a client facing role
- Experience and in-depth understanding of Agile methodology
- Proven track record using structured specification techniques such as user stories, or Use Cases.
- Excellent experience of workshop facilitation using a variety of tools and techniques for small and large groups
- Excellent communication and presentation skills both written and verbal (including fluent English)
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office – Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Visio
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritise, meet deadlines and manage changing priorities
- Proven ability to be flexible and work hard, both independently and in a team environment, with changing priorities.
- Willingness to work occasionally outside of normal business hours.
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills.
- Results focused, have a strong attention to detail and continually strive to develop new skills and knowledge
- Ability to work across industries
Desirable characteristics for candidates
- Post graduate or additional qualifications in systems analysis an advantage
- Certified SCRUM Product Owner or Scrum Master
- Good Microsoft SQL, and data querying skills.
- Experience in Unified Modelling Language (UML)
- Project management and/or team lead experience
- Experience in the development and implementation of standards, procedures and guidelines to support operational processes.
- Development, implementation and adherence to standards
- Consistently deliver high quality outputs that meet engagement manager and client expectations
- Demonstrate ability to work both independently and within a team
- Successful delivery of technology projects
BearingPoint is an independent management and technology consultancy with European roots and a global reach. The company operates in three units: Consulting, Solutions and Ventures. Consulting covers the advisory business; Solutions provides the tools for successful digital transformation, regulatory technology and advanced analytics; Ventures drives the financing and development of start-ups. BearingPoint’s clients include many of the world’s leading companies and organizations. The firm has a global consulting network with more than 10,000 people and supports clients in over 75 countries, engaging with them to achieve measurable and sustainable success.
BearingPoint is an equal opportunities employer.
BearingPoint does not accept unsolicited cvs from 3rd party recruitment agencies without a written agreement in place for placements. BearingPoint is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited cvs and no fee will be paid should the candidate be hired by BearingPoint.