Founded in 2004, Blueface is the recognised global standard for IP Unified Communications technology, offering ultra-reliable, easily integrated cloud-based solutions.
Blueface began as a superlative voice-offering solution, and through a strong R&D focus it has now developed and leveraged a customised IP platform for businesses of any size. Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland — with offices in New York, Rome, Madrid and London, and assisted by an extensive partner network — Blueface is rapidly expanding its global reach.
To help us continue our expedited growth, Blueface is seeking a talented Technical Writer. If your talents match the brief and you can contribute to our innovation-driven, fun-loving, high performance team — apply today!
Blueface is seeking a Technical Writer to support our technical, marketing and product teams.
Working closely with these teams, you will join the global, multi-functional Blueface product and technology team and will play an important role in the dissemination of information including new product features and processes.
The main purpose of this role is to work with our technical teams and a number of business departments & stakeholders in order to compile material that will explain our features, our systems and designs to various audiences. As a technical writer, you will be involved in all aspects of the DDLC (Document Development Life Cycle), including requirement analysis, design, writing, editing, proofreading and ongoing maintenance of our document and tutorial portfolio.
A key aspect of this role is to create documentation that matches the needs of the intended audiences. Empathising with your audience is critical to this process. To achieve this, you will develop a number of relationships with various stakeholders to better gauge their needs and then gather the necessary data. From there, you will have the opportunity to craft innovative material to effectively transfer the required information to these audiences.
We are looking for a candidate who is willing to grow alongside our innovative, high-growth company. The role will have scope to evolve based on the candidate’s desire to learn and become involved in other fields.
- Writes technical materials, knowledgebase articles, stories, brochures, newsletters, reports, instruction manuals, proposals, and other publications that are targeted at both internal and external audiences.
- Is responsible for the full DDLC (Document Development Life Cycle).
- Documentation must be maintained and updated to reflect changes in our product offerings. This will require document reviews, edits, changes in scope or complete re-writes of existing material.
- Gathers, collates, analyses and translates technical information into material that is suitable for the target audiences.
- Organises material and completes writing assignments according to priority.
- Will help to define documentation standards, recommendations and style guides that will be used to order and codify document versioning, document scope, the conciseness of the documentation, terminology used, correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling to be used within documents.
- Will apply journalistic style interviewing techniques to gather the information needed for documentation. May also use observation of work practices and information flows within the organisation to ensure that all relevant information is included in the documentation.
- Conducts research to create the requested documents, this includes:
- Analysing the subject and the audience;
- Interviewing subject matter experts and gathering the information;
- Conducting the research necessary to retrieve the relevant information;
- Studying relevant documentation (drawings, specifications, mock-ups, and product samples and read journals and other material) to become familiar with the subject;
- Conferring with any relevant stakeholders involved in document development to establish technical specifications and to determine subject material to be developed for publication;
- Preparing and developing documents that are accurate, complete, unambiguous, and as concise as possible;
- Selecting photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to best illustrate the material.
- Reports weekly on the status of documentation tasks.
- Organises and delivers technical writing training sessions or workshops to share best practices in this area of expertise.
Required Skills & Competencies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
- Ability to manage time and to work under deadline constraints.
- Keen attention to detail and excellent analytical skills.
- The ability to work with multiple sources of information and then disseminate the relevant material, while leaving out information that is not truly required.
- Ability to work independently, while also being comfortable asking for further direction or assistance.
- Experience creating documentation that contains technical elements.
- Ability to simplify complex situations; strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to componentize complex tasks and record the steps in a way that the user can follow.
- Ability to understand the target audience so that the developed content is accessible to the user’s level of understanding, and will fulfill the user’s requirements.
- Ability to multi-task and project manage many tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to build solid relationships with individuals at all levels, in multiple geographies and business functions, both internally and externally.
Beneficial Skills and Competencies
- Experience as part of an Agile software delivery process is an advantage.
- Experience defining requirements using BDD (Behaviour Driven Development) is an advantage.
- Knowledge of graphic and design techniques.
- Journalism, public relations and media writing skills would be an advantage.
While Blueface is committed to developing our product, we are even more committed to developing our culture and work environment. With this in mind, the ideal candidate will possess:
- A minimum of 2 years’ technical writing experience.
- A relevant degree qualification is desirable - such as a Bachelor's degree in English, journalism or public relations, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience.
- A formalised technical writing qualification is desirable.
- Must be comfortable writing from a technical perspective, and making that information accessible to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- The ability to manage multiple projects each day.
- A high-level of proficiency in communication and publishing tools such as MS Office, G-Suite or other tools such as Adobe Framemaker.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills - written and verbal communications.
- Embraces continuous improvement and new ways of doing things, navigating in a dynamic and often ambiguous environment while providing information to drive improvement.
- Inquisitive nature, and can think creatively, with strong analytical skills. Can be objective and independent.
- Thinks in a way that synthesizes many ideas into a big-picture view.
- Has a level of proficiency in understanding, explaining and documenting both business and technical requirements.
- Has experience modelling ‘as is’ and ‘to be’ processes.
- Team player - can effectively contribute to the work of others and works well in a matrixed team environment.
Location and Perks
Blueface HQ is located in the IFSC, in the heart of Dublin. The area is served by excellent infrastructure and public transit links (DART, Dublin Bus, LUAS), and is close to all that Dublin City has to offer including restaurants, cinemas, theatres, bars and shopping.
We are two minutes from CHQ — a space teeming with excellent lunch spots — including Foodie, the Natural Bakery, Freshi, The Bake House, Seven Wonders, Il Fiorino and a host of the highest quality coffee shops and grocery stores.
The Liffey is lined with benches for relaxing riverside breaks, there are numerous quality restaurants and hotels in the area and you’ll find Dublin’s spectacular coastline just 10-minutes away. Blueface also provides our staff with WebDoctor, a remote GP-service to keep you in rude health.
The IFSC is a hive of activity for the software development community and you’re never far from a MeetUp, conference or tech-driven breakfast morning. Apply now to become the newest addition to the Blueface Team!
Role Type: One Year Fixed Term Contract
Compensation: NEG, DOE