Job Title: Manager, China based in Shanghai, China
Reporting to: International Markets Manager
Job Purpose: To maximise return from the Chinese market for the Irish food and drink industry through effective implementation of Bord Bia's strategy and delivery of results-driven services.
Key Organisational Relationships:
Bord Bia China Team, International Markets Manager, Director of Markets, CEO, Meat, Food and Beverage Director, Strategic Insight & Planning, Talent Director, Overseas Office Team
Key External Relationships:
Irish Embassy Beijing, Irish client companies, China customers, marketing, research & consultancy agencies, trade and consumer media, national marketing bodies, Irish Embassy, Irish representative bodies in China
- Develop existing relationships with senior executives of China based organisations.
- Lead the development and implementation of strategic plans for China.
- Ensure the China market input is reflected in the Bord Bia strategic planning cycle and implementation.
- Build a network of China customers across priority sectors and channels including manufacturing, food service, online and retail.
- Develop strategic relationships within prioritised target accounts in China to enhance Ireland’s reputation as an ideal source of sustainable food and drink.
- Effectively position Ireland as a sustainable source of quality food and beverage promoting Ireland’s unique proposition with appropriate media outlets, trade and consumer influencers.
- Motivate and manage a high performing team in Shanghai office which delivers effectively and efficiently for Bord Bia strategic priorities.
- Lead the delivery of Bord Bia client services in the China region and direct clients to other appropriate Bord Bia services to promote growth in client companies.
- To become a China market insight expert, collating and disseminating relevant and timely market and sector information to client companies and share knowledge with colleagues in line with best practice set out by The Thinking House, Bord Bia’s consumer and market insight centre.
- In partnership with Sector Heads and their teams; lead the development of annual plans to implement the sector strategies to meet or exceed the KPIs set out for China.
- Provide the portfolio of core Bord Bia services which meet the needs of clients (such as capability development, insights & intelligence, lead generation and market activation) whilst delivering value for money.
- Lead senior level customer engagement programmes with key Chinese customers across all channels with an effective roll-out plan.
- Manage the Bord Bia PR programme in China; working with an assigned agency, to optimise awareness and credentials of the Irish supply base amongst key customers, food writers and opinion leaders.
- Manage the Shanghai office budget to ensure procurement policy compliance, value for money and on-target out-turn at end of the year.
- Create an insights led focus in the Shanghai office; ensuring best practice analysis of market insights and appropriate dissemination and sharing of local market insights.
- Through overseas office meetings and other appropriate methods, ensure that the priorities and activities of the Shanghai office are aligned to those of the broader organisation.
- Ensure that the personnel development process is effectively embedded in the Shanghai office and underpinned by Bord Bia functional competencies and behaviours.
- Periodically review and revise job descriptions to ensure on-going relevancy and accuracy.
- Develop annual training and personal development plans; taking account of team and individual requirements, building a pipeline of talent for the organisation.
- Management of the extended Bord Bia team, including the Bord Bia talent academy programme placements in China.
- Minimum Degree level qualification in relevant discipline e.g. Business and Marketing specialisation.
- Membership of relevant professional bodies in marketing or business.
- Proven management experience of operating in Asian markets, ideally in China.
- Experience of identifying and effectively leading a team.
- An understanding of best practice marketing/business development at an international level.
- Experience developing and implementing marketing strategy.
- Large budget and project management experience.
- Sector relevant marketing/business development experience, ideally meat, dairy and/or seafood.
- Very good command of English, Chinese language advantageous.
- Leadership; ability to bring colleagues towards agreed targets.
- Ability to work and interact effectively at senior management level/Government agency level.
- Analytical skills to assess and advise on commercial market opportunities.
- An appreciation of the distribution solutions for long distance transport.
- Competence to prioritise and maximise the use of scarce resources.
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing/ negotiation and collaborating skills.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to be credible and comfortable in a representational role in diverse international cultures.
- Possesses energy and drive to achieve superior standards.
- Diplomatic and tactful, with awareness of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- A strategic and analytical thinker with long term business perspective.
- A progressive and proactive person who is innovative in pursuing challenges
This vacancy will remain open for applications until close of business on Friday the 11th of October