Job Title: Director Origin Green & Sustainable Quality Assurance
Grade: Grade 2 with a starting salary of €88,407pa. The Scale for this Grade is €88,407 – €109,422. New Entrants to the Public Sector commence on the first point of the Scale
Reporting to: Chief Executive
Job Purpose: To lead the future development of the Irish Food, Drink and Horticulture industry by applying international best practice in sustainability on behalf of Bord Bia. This role provides inspiring leadership to industry and the Bord Bia organisation though the development and implementation of Origin Green and Sustainable Assurance programmes.
Key Organisational Relationships: CEO, Senior Leadership Team (SLT), Origin Green & Sustainable Assurance Team, Market Managers, Sector Managers, Insight Team, Marketing and Communications Section and Organisational Secretariat including Human Resources, Finance and IT.
Key External Relationships: Operating principally at CEO / Board of Director level in Client Companies, DAFM, State Agencies (e.g. Teagasc, EPA, INAB), Industry representative bodies (eg IBEC, Farming Organisations and NGOs), Technical Committees, Auditors, Universities and other institutions focusing on sustainability.
- Lead the development and implementation of the Origin Green Strategy 2019 - 2021
- Ensure sufficient resources are available to implement the Origin Green strategy.
- Provide the leadership role in the development of sustainability across the organisation in the achievement of its transformation agenda.
- Develop and grow the expertise and capability of the Origin Green and Sustainable Assurance Team.
- Identify and foster key external relationships to ensure that the reputation of the Irish Food and Drink sector (nationally and internationally) is significantly enhanced by Origin Green.
- Manage and implement of the delivery of Origin Green and Sustainable Assurance programmes.
- Actively contribute to the successful operation of the SLT through challenging discussions, contributing insights and shared learnings.
- Develop and seek internal agreement on the continued development and resourcing of the Origin Green programme.
- Manage the operation of the department with clarity of role and unity of purpose, ensuring all components of Origin Green Programme implemented professionally.
- Define a process for regular review of all schemes – internal review with external input (TAC) as required to ensure that Bord Bia retains accreditations for all schemes.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive Stakeholder Engagement Plan with collaboration as its core with particular focus on Teagasc and Bord Bia staff input.
- Ensure that there are sufficient personnel with adequate technical expertise to carry out all the activities involved in the implementation of the Schemes either through direct employment or through subcontracting.
- Operate the QAS Management System to ensure all formal procedures are followed regarding, for example, the selection and management of all Technical Advisory Committees, Certification Decisions, Appeals etc.
- Ensure that marketing and communications around Bord Bia Origin Green Programme are backed up by proof points to maintain the integrity of the scheme.
- Represent Ireland and Bord Bia on leading international sustainability committees e.g. GlobalGap, European Roundtable for Sustainable Beef, SAI Platform etc.
- Represent and present Bord Bia at international conferences and seminars sharing our proprietary knowledge, raising the awareness of Ireland as a Food and Drink nation, as well as its reputation for running the World’s leading national assurance programme, on the home market through media and conference attendance, enhance Bord Bia’s position as a thought leader in the sustainability arena.
- Lead and implement the organisation’s Performance Process within the Origin Green and Sustainable Assurance Team, planning work and setting expectations, monitoring and measuring performance, competency development, rating performance and recognising good performance.
- Identification of strategic, departmental and individual training needs, applying a competency based approach in liaison with the Human Resources Director contributing to the development of the organisational Training Plan.
- Operate progressive budget planning and management processes, managing the division’s budget effectively ensuring best use of funding and value for money is achieved and applying procurement procedures and guidelines with all expenditures.
- Degree level qualification in relevant discipline e.g. Food Science, Agriculture, Business.
- Membership of relevant professional bodies.
- 5+ years’ experience operating at senior level in a food, quality systems, technical industry.
- Understanding and knowledge of quality management systems, processes and accreditation.
- An appreciation of sustainability and climate change
- Relationship development experience with colleagues, senior executives, suppliers, senior marketing teams.
- Proven management experience operating in high pressure environments.
- Strategy development and innovation.
- Proven leadership skills, able to lead and motivate a team to implement organisational strategy.
- Understanding of food and drink businesses, from the small to global players.
- Good understanding of sustainability and its importance in the food industry.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills, with proven ability influence and build trust and alliances with client companies and colleagues.
- Proven success in collaborating with and leading cross functional teams with both internal and external contacts.
- Strong project planning and management skills with the ability to coordinate resources and deliver results proactively.
- Demonstrable track record in delivery of operational plans. Able to manage multiple initiatives to deadline while retaining sufficient flexibility to adapt to changing priorities.
- Supplier management skills.
- Confident and self-reliant individual with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- A proactive, tenacious, self -starter with a positive "can do" attitude.
- Applies good judgment in decision making.
- Creative individual with the ability to generate new ideas.
- Strategic as well as pragmatic, with the ability to translate concepts into action.
- Detail-oriented without losing sight of the big picture.
This vacancy will remain open for applications until close of business on Friday the 11th of October