Job Title: Retail Specialist
Reporting to: Global Relationship Manager
Team: Global Business Development
Grade: Grade 5 with a starting salary of €42,901 per annum. The scale for this Grade is €42,901 – €63,334. New Entrants to the Public Sector commence on the first point of the scale
To build an in-depth understanding of Irish exports to global (i.e. multi-country footprint) grocery retail customers, nurture account relationships, identify business development opportunities and through Bord Bia’s route to market programme, work with client companies to help them grow their business in this channel. In addition, manage Bord Bia’s strategic engagement with key grocery retail chains operating in Ireland.
Key Organisational Relationships
Global Relationships Manager, Global Business Development Director, Market Managers, Market Specialists, Food & Beverage Sector Managers, Talent Development Manager, Director Strategic Planning Food & Beverage, Origin Green, Strategic Insights and Marketing & Communications teams.
Key External Relationships
Client food & drink companies, key global grocery retailers and distributors, industry representative bodies, third party agencies and consultants, local trade media and key opinion leaders.
1. To contribute to the development and annual review of Bord Bia’s route to market programme, specifically the relationship & engagement strategy with identified global grocery retailers.
2. To deliver channel-specific services that help build Bord Bia’s understanding of the global grocery retail channel, and inform client companies of key trends and opportunities.
3. In conjunction with Bord Bia’s local markets’ teams, proactively build a network of trade contacts in priority product sectors within identified key grocery retail accounts to increase the awareness of Ireland’s sustainable food and drink supply base whilst building the reputation of the Irish food industry.
4. To help shape and implement Bord Bia’s route to market services for the global grocery retail channel in partnership with the Marketing team, to ensure optimum reach for Bord Bia’s trade messaging on Irish industry capabilities and our unique sustainability credentials.
5. To become a global retail channel insights expert, collating and disseminating
relevant and timely market and sector information to client companies and to share knowledge with colleagues in line with the best practice set out by Bord Bia Thinking House.
6. To be the key contact for strategic engagement with Irish grocery chains, including maintaining and enhancing relationships at senior level within these accounts.
1. Working with the Global Relationship Manager and Market Managers to identify, establish and nurture relationships with key global retail grocery customers.
2. Draft and execute value proposition and annual engagement plans for strategic partner accounts and budget accordingly.
3. Contribute to the development of Irish food and drink client companies’ commercial marketing strategies in relation to the global grocery retail channel in partnership with Bord Bia market managers, sectors and insights teams.
4. Help clients implement their plans to build and manage their relationships with key global accounts, as well as measuring their impact, in order to correct and optimise them where needed.
5. Set the standard for how clients should engage with key global grocery retail accounts, actively fostering stronger commercially focused relationships between clients and the accounts in partnership with colleagues, to deliver peer-to-peer key account management, mentoring and wider networking events.
6. Working with the local market teams, identify a panel of trade experts who can act as business accelerators and mentors to support Bord Bia activities in the global grocery retail channel.
7. Become expert in global grocery retail market insights in priority product sectors by attending industry conferences; reading and analysing local and international industry trade journals, research and reports; and disseminating this information in line with Bord Bia Thinking House best practice to grow categories exponentially in partnership with the Irish food and drink industry.
8. Actively encourage relevant Irish food and drink exporters to consider business opportunities in the global grocery retail channel by organising seminars, workshops and market study visits.
9. Seek out speaking opportunities for Bord Bia to present Origin Green and position Ireland’s unique sustainability credentials at relevant industry conferences and seminars.
10. Provide input into various Bord Bia corporate and departmental reporting mechanisms: monthly operations reports, market profiles and annual reports.
- Degree level qualification in relevant discipline, e.g. Business, Marketing
- Specialisation in international marketing an advantage
- Membership of relevant professional bodies e.g. Marketing Institute of Ireland or other appropriate is advantageous
- 3+ years’ experience operating in an export marketing, sales or business development role in Ireland, Britain or international markets
- Experience building and distilling market insights
- Successful implementation of high profile events or projects
- Knowledge of the Irish Food, Drink and Horticulture sector
- Proven experience of building credible professional relationships with suppliers, trade customers, media, diplomats and politicians both in Ireland and the marketplace
- Strong results driven KPI culture; budget management experience
- Available to travel to international trade meetings & events
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with strong verbal and report writing ability
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to develop strong working relationships with buyers and client companies
- Highly tuned influencing and negotiating skills
- Proven organisational skills and practical application of project management tools and techniques.
- Proficient business use of the full Microsoft 2013 suite, social and Word Press content management tools, Google Analytics and social media online monitoring tools.
- Commercially minded, highly motivated self-starter who works well in cross functional teams
- An individual who excels when he/she works independently
- Enthusiastic and proactive individual who can propose and implement new ideas and initiatives
- Positive, solutions driven individual
- An innovative person who seeks out new challenges and opportunities
- Confident and self-reliant with the ability to professionally represent and negotiate on behalf of Bord Bia
- Can adapt to changing environments easily and is willing to travel
- A passion for food, Ireland and agriculture are an advantage
Closing Date: Friday 3rd January
Anticipated Interview dates:
1st round interviews: 13th January
2nd round interviews: 27th January