Job Title: Director Corporate Services
Grade: Grade 1 with a starting salary of €94,984 per annum. The scale for this Grade is €94,984 – €117,228. New Entrants to the Public Sector commence on the first point of the scale
Reporting to: Chief Executive
Job Purpose: To be accountable for the corporate services function within the organisation; leading the development and implementation of a robust corporate services strategy to enable a well-developed, well managed, motivated, high performing and fit for purpose workforce and facilities in order to ensure effective delivery of this mandate.
Key Organisational Relationships: CEO, Board and Subsidiary Board members, Senior Leadership Team (SLT), Financial Controller, ICT Manager, Corporate Services Manager and Corporate Services Staff, Overseas Office Managers and Division staff.
Key External Relationships: Department of Agriculture Food and the Marine; Legal and Financial Advisors; Insurers; Property Management; Contractors; Suppliers; IFA; IBEC; ICMSA; etc.
1. Work closely with the Chief Executive and senior leadership, participating as an integral member of the senior leadership and actively contribute to the organisation’s strategic planning
2. Ensure in close cooperation with the Financial Controller that an appropriate financial policy and procedure framework is in place to ensure effective financial management to guide Bord Bia’s financial decision-making and advice on potential financial consequences of proposed courses of action.
3. Deliver an efficient and effective Secretariat function and service to the Board, Subsidiary Boards and Board Committees.
4. Liaise with legal advisors to ensure statutory compliance with organisational legal commitments and provide legal support to the Board and management.
5. Effectively lead the management of the overall budget, financial framework, infrastructure and corporate governance arrangements for the organisation.
6. Lead the identification, management and reporting of corporate risk through the management of the internal audit function and the servicing of the Audit & Risk Committee (ARC).
7. Oversee the management of the Corporate Administration function, the Building’s Facilities and Office Administration Services provided to internal and external clients and stakeholders.
8. Provide direction, leadership and best practice management for the Division the discharging of their responsibilities.
1 Act as the Company Secretary; attending meetings, preparing minutes, management action reports and staff briefs.
2 Advise the Boards on legal, statutory and compliance matters.
3 Manage the preparation of board papers and assist the CEO with ensuring actions are implemented on time and reported on.
4 Interact with Board and Subsidiary Board Members to ensure all matters and issues are dealt with.
5 Ensure legal obligations are carried out and the legal approach of the organisation is consistent at all times. Advise, monitor and ensure clarity about the execution of legal documentation, contracts and agreements involving Bord Bia entering into legal commitments.
6 Advise in relation to the An Bord Bia Act and monitor compliance with statutory, legal, EU and Government Directives and Guidelines.
7 In collaboration with the Corporate Services Manager ensure implementation of corporate administrative arrangements in relation to specific legislation, including the following:
o Ethics in Public Office Act
o Health, Safety & Welfare at Work Act
o Freedom of Information Act
o Official Languages Act
o Equality & Disability Legislation
o Ombudsman Acts
8 Lead and direct the Financial Controller in ensuring the organisation is aware of and adheres to all corporate compliance requirements and corporate governance arrangements within the finance function, including internal/external audits, financial instructions, authorisations, budgetary management, and invoicing in line with best practice in the public service.
9 Ensure a robust streamlined and efficient procurement process is in place across the organisation, which delivers compliance with public sector and European Union directives, value for money and embedding a culture of compliance with these procedures and processes.
10 Ensure implementation of the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies including risk and compliance best practice and Board and ARC annual self-assessments.
11 Brief and provide training sessions for in-coming Board and Subsidiary Board members, as required.
12 Manage and assist the finalisation by the Board of all relevant best practice checklists and ensure that the results of these are communicated between Board and the Audit & Risk Committee.
13 Draw up and drive the implementation of the Annual ARC/Internal Audit Work Programme in conjunction with the Financial Controller, ensuring it is carried out and reported on accordingly to the ARC and to the Board.
14 Ensure Board Audit & Risk Committee Charters are reviewed annually and that the ARC operates in accordance with the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies ensuring regular reporting to the Board.
15 Lead and direct the Corporate Services Manager in the management of the corporate, office administration services and facilities management including insurance, trademarks, intellectual property registrations, insurance and the provision of print, reception and meetings services.
16 Lead the implementation of the performance management throughout the division and work with Human Resources to ensure appropriate training and development requirements are provided to enable staff carry out their roles and reach their full potential.
1 Ensure production of Annual Report and its publication in accordance with the Code of Practice for the Governance of State Bodies, generally accepted accounting practices, the Bord Bia Act and relevant legislation.
2 Manage and/or prepare Bord Bia responses to Parliamentary Questions (PQs), Freedom of Information requests and other public information requests.
Qualifications & Training:
- Degree level qualification in relevant discipline e.g. Business. Finance
- Company Secretarial Qualification would be an advantage
- Strong IT literacy skills
- Excellent organisation skills with a high level of attention to detail
- Hold a clear vision of the organisation and what its strategic aims are
- Leadership and management experience (10 years+) in high pressure environments.
- Interpersonal relationships, discretion and confidentiality
- Knowledge of employment law
- Ability to communicate at all levels
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to innovate to create and implement continuous improvement initiatives
- Ability to support and influence all stakeholders across the organisation
- Adaptability & Flexibility – willing to work on a variety of projects and preform in multiple roles.
· Strategy development and innovation.
· Proven leadership skills, able to lead and motivate a team to implement organisational strategy.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
· Excellent networking and interpersonal skills, with proven ability influence and build trust and alliances.
· Demonstrate the ability to lead their team towards a shared vision.
- Confident and self-reliant individual with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- A proactive, tenacious, self -starter with a positive "can do" attitude.
- Applies good judgment in decision making.
- Tolerant, tactful and cooperative
- Cost, quality and safety conscious
- Detail-oriented without losing sight of the big picture.
Closing Date: Friday 20th December 2019
Anticipated Interview dates:
1st round interviews: Week commencing 6th January 2020
2nd round interviews: Week commencing 20th January 2020