Main areas of focus: Data modeling, data architecture, ETL / pipelines, data transformation, data analytics, data science, data governance, BI, business intelligence, Looker
Location: This opportunity is remote and open to any applicant eligible to work in the U.S. or with an existing U.S. work permit.
You’ll implement data models, architectures and ETL pipelines enabling the organization to drive business solutions and improvements and derive insights through data.
As a Data Engineer at charity: water, you’ll play a crucial role in democratizing data, enhancing internal transparency, and improving the reliability of our product and revenue data. You will report to, and work with the Data Product Manager to implement new models and improve existing data architecture, build ETL pipelines, advocate for data governance and accessibility with a goal of driving product improvements and deriving business solutions and insights. You will lay the groundwork to develop analytics and data science as a practice. You will write tests and documentation and develop systems to support the maintenance of data models. You will work cross-departmentally to identify reporting needs and help create reports and dashboards that tell data stories of our revenue and product performance.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Developing and maintaining data architecture to support revenue data and operations
- Refactoring, reorganizing, and cleaning up legacy content and architecture, ensuring a healthy BI environment and codebase
- Supporting the data team through the application of best practices, such as code-linting, data tests, and documentation
- Helping identify trends in data sets, and developing models that make raw data more useful to the organization
- Enhancing the data infrastructure and tech stack to support automation and continuous deployment of predictive models, scalability, and optimized data delivery
- Supporting revenue reporting needs organization-wide, identifying ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Pioneering the democratization of data and self-serving via training sessions, with the support of the Looker administrative team
YOU MUST HAVE…
- 2+ years of experience in data engineering or data development
- A degree in computer science, information systems, engineering, math/statistics, or related
- Experience with relational databases such as Postgres or MySQL etc.
- Experience writing complex SQL queries from scratch
- Implementation experience in data governance, data quality & data modeling
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong business intuition and ability to understand complex business systems
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Experience with cloud-based data warehouses such as Redshift, BigQuery, or Snowflake
- Experience with analytical engineering transformational tools such as dbt
- Experience working with data sets with millions of rows
- Beginner to intermediate level experience or familiarity with BI tools such as Looker, Tableau, Power BI, etc.
- Data science experience, e.g.: building predictive models, monitoring model performance, etc.
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You get things done
You follow through on every request, no matter how big or small. You keep your cool under pressure and know how to prioritize your responsibilities. And when you need help, you're not afraid to ask.
You take initiative
You see something that needs improvement and you take action. You propose solutions to problems and research subjects that will help you do your job better. You’re proactive about asking questions and seeking clarity about requirements. You thrive in fast-paced environments with people that are constantly looking to innovate, enjoy challenges, and demand excellence.
You're passionate about accuracy
You double and triple-check your work because you know that accuracy is crucial when reporting on revenue and product data. You pay strong attention to detail, have excellent math, grammar, spelling, and proof-reading skills.
You are organized and detail-oriented
You prioritize well and are able to manage important projects, schedules, and communications in an orderly fashion.
The Subscription team is a sophisticated group of product managers, designers, storytellers, engineers, and marketers that power our unique monthly giving platform, The Spring. They focus on developing a first in class experience for our Spring monthly donors while building a product that invites transparency, generosity, and community.
At charity: water, we believe that water changes everything. We work with local implementing partners to fund sustainable solutions that provide clean and safe drinking water in developing countries. Since 2006, with a diverse team of world-changers and an unstoppable community of supporters, we’ve brought clean water to more than 11 million people worldwide. With the makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation, contagious passion, beautifully-crafted stories, and a powerful brand that inspires a new kind of generosity.