People Operations Manager
Main areas of focus: Human Resources, Payroll, Benefits, 401(k) Administration, HRIS, Compliance, Employee Relations
Location: This opportunity is open to any applicant eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit. We are currently a fully remote workplace.
You’ll create intentional and supportive resources for our talented and passionate team.
As the People Operations Manager, you’ll have the opportunity to create intentional and supportive people resources for our talented and passionate team. Reporting to the Director of People and Culture, you’ll own day-to-day employee support, manage our HRIS and PEO systems, administer payroll and benefits, and keep our company handbook refreshed with all local, state, and federal compliance updates. You’ll work across every team to support individuals at various moments during their employment journey and work on a people team that is committed to fostering an engaging, culture-first environment for the organization.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Administering payroll and benefits via our PEO system (TriNet)
- Managing our HRIS (Bamboo HR), recordkeeping, reporting, and people analytics
- Partnering with the Finance Department on 401k administration, Form 5500’s, payroll reconciliation, audits, census reporting, etc.
- Onboarding new employees, I9 filing, new hire paperwork, benefits onboarding, etc.
- Offboarding employees, administering COBRA, supporting exit interviews, unemployment, and thoughtful farewells
- Spearheading open enrollment, identifying and implementing new offerings, and encouraging benefits and perk utilization
- Leading monthly and quarterly compliance updates covering any changes in local, state, or federal employment laws
- Writing organizational policies and procedures, employee handbook updates, and training materials
- Leading organization-wide trainings such as Anti-Sexual Harassment Training, HRIS systems training, time and attendance training, etc.
- Administering all employee leaves, including parental, medical, sabbatical, etc.
- Managing the employee change process, ensuring appropriate approvals, documentation, internal communications, as well as system changes
- Maintaining reporting for People and Culture metrics and KPI’s
- Serving as the main point of contact for employee support and triaging the People and Culture email handle
YOU MUST HAVE…
- 5+ years of relevant HR experience, which must include:
- 2-3 years of direct experience administering payroll and benefits
- Experience with employee leaves, 401k administration, and people analytics
- Experience with a wide variety of employee relations scenarios
- Advanced skills with HRIS, both for recordkeeping and people analytics
- Extensive knowledge of employment law and compliance
- Strong Excel and reporting abilities
- Strong ability to create aesthetic and effective Keynotes/Powerpoints for training purposes
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Worked with TriNet or a similar PEO
- SHRM or HRCI Certification
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You are a culture-driver
You have integrity, persistence, patience, and a genuine desire to empower and better the professional lives of those you work alongside. You value individuality and are a keen judge of character. You understand the importance of each role and the value it adds to every team and the organization.
You value precision
You’re meticulous. You know accuracy is important regardless of whether anyone is watching, and you strive for excellence in every detail.
You are an excellent communicator, both written and verbal
Clear, consistent and thoughtful communication is everything to you. You are able to articulate your thoughts both verbally and in writing with poise, professionalism, clarity, and warmth. You have a confident and engaging presence when presenting.
You get things done
You’re a multitasking machine and you don’t have a problem getting your hands dirty. You follow through on every task, no matter how big or small, and when duty calls you take matters into your own hands. You live for hitting deadlines and understand the importance of keeping on schedule and in budget. You take initiative on projects from the start and know how to bring people together and get things done.
You cross your t’s and dot your i’s
You prioritize staying up to date on employment law changes and enjoy keeping policies updated, compliant, and thorough. You are excited about the opportunity to serve as a key compliance leader.
You communicate the complex thoughtfully and simply
You have the ability to take legal jargon and technical policies and communicate them simply and help make them feel relatable. It brings you joy to help others understand things that can sometimes feel intimidating and complicated.
The People & Culture team champions a team-focused and values-driven people experience that is intentional at each stage of the employment journey. Whether a long-term office project, an all-staff event, a medical benefit, or a new open role to fill, we partner with every level of the organization, equipping and supporting each staff member. We lead with generosity and prioritize care for the team, inviting feedback, and seeking to continually grow and innovate.
At charity: water, we believe that water changes everything. We work with local implementing partners to fund sustainable solutions that provide clean and safe drinking water in developing countries. Since 2006, with a diverse team of world-changers and an unstoppable community of supporters, we’ve brought clean water to more than 12 million people worldwide. With the makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation, contagious passion, beautifully-crafted stories, and a powerful brand that inspires a new kind of generosity.
At charity: water, we value every background, identity, and experience. We believe that a diverse team, informed by different cultures and perspectives, makes us stronger. We are committed to doing the work and challenging each other to be an organization in which everyone is respected and heard. We commit to providing genuine opportunities for all people to thrive. And we will continue to embed diversity, inclusion, belonging, and equality in everything we do.