Technical Product Manager
Main Areas of Focus: Agile Project Management, Requirements Gathering & User Story Creation, Stakeholder Communication, Roadmap Ownership
Location: This opportunity is open to any applicant eligible to work in the U.S. or have an existing U.S. work permit. We are currently a fully remote workplace.
You’ll work with teams across the organization to turn our biggest technical needs and challenges into detailed software engineering tasks and ensure those tasks are prioritized and delivered reliably.
As the Technical Product Manager, you'll work with the (Software) Engineering team to develop inspiring and engaging products for our supporters, and improve the efficiency of our internal systems. You'll work alongside product managers from the Subscriptions team to make engaging donor experiences but also work on our internal systems, diving deep with the engineering team to discover and prioritize solutions that help us achieve our mission to deliver clean water across the globe. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you’ll foster projects from conception through execution and manage teams to ship new products quickly and efficiently.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Working cross-departmentally to distill internal and external opportunities and challenges into product solutions
- Authoring roadmaps, epics, user stories, and acceptance criteria to clearly define and communicate new services and features
- Working with the Engineering Team to weigh technical trade-offs through in-depth discussions on the nuances of complex web systems
- Project managing complex infrastructure creation through conception, development, ideation, and implementation to transition historical processes into efficient agile tools
- Communicating and coordinating with stakeholders across the organization who possess varying levels of technical expertise: from software engineers with 15+ years’ experience to the computer-illiterate
YOU MUST HAVE…
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or similar experience
- 5+ years of technical product management or 5+ years combined product management + engineering experience
- Experience managing web and mobile applications
- Strong understanding of agile development philosophies and best practices
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Hands-on Computer Science or Engineering experience
- Experience producing large scale projects/systems for a tech-startup or non-profit
- Foundational knowledge of CRM platforms, specifically Salesforce application
- A passion for technology and its application to further our mission
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You get things done
You're a multitasking machine. You love the challenge of providing clarity to diverse teams and stakeholders. You enjoy technical detail and You follow through on every job, no matter how big or small. You live for hitting deadlines and understand the importance of keeping on schedule. You take initiative on projects from the start and know how to bring people together and get things done.
You love technology
You stay on top of the most current apps and programs, constantly looking for ways to use technology to increase efficiency and innovation for your projects. You’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves and learn something new if it means that your team or the organization can run more efficiently.
You understand complex systems and processes
You will be working with software applications and various databases, and while you're not in the code or running queries, you understand the high-level data models, how the systems integrate, and how they serve to facilitate business processes.
You connect all the dots
You’re analytical and always on the look-out for potential issues to tackle before they occur. You’re always two steps ahead, taking a proactive approach to solutions so that you can help guide your team and solve for challenges as they arise.
You're a communication ace
You keep everyone in the know so that the job gets done efficiently and effectively. You know when to ask for help, when to listen, and when to speak up. And you're known for your professional candor.
You have a team ethos
You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced start-up environment, with people who are passionate about their work. You're excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and enjoy bringing people together to achieve a goal. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you.
The Engineering team is made up of problem-solvers committed to collaborating well and delivering the highest quality code. They are crucial to the success of our main fundraising platforms and the heartbeat behind the software that makes our work possible. Using our base tech stack Rails, React, and Postgres, they enable us to spread generosity to end the world water crisis.
At charity: water, we believe that water changes everything. We work with local implementing partners to fund sustainable solutions that provide clean and safe drinking water in developing countries. Since 2006, with a diverse team of world-changers and an unstoppable community of supporters, we’ve brought clean water to more than 12 million people worldwide. With the makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation, contagious passion, beautifully-crafted stories, and a powerful brand that inspires a new kind of generosity.