VP of Communications
Main areas of focus: Communication strategy, Corporate communications, Media relations, Crisis communications, Marketing
Location: This opportunity is open to any applicant eligible to work in the U.S. or with an existing U.S. work permit. We are currently a fully remote workplace.
You’ll build a dynamic communications program to drive awareness and growth and protect the organization as we cross the $100M threshold into a new era.
The VP of Communications will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual will advance the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as drive broader awareness and donor support for the organization.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Strategic communications:
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan that sets charity: water apart from other nonprofits, international development, and water aid organizations and that broadens awareness of our innovative work and programs
- Ensure consistent, uniform, high-quality delivery of appropriate external positioning and messaging
- Leveraging your professional network to secure a strong cadence of brand-building press
- Develop thought leadership platforms for the organization, leveraging charity: water executives, team members, subject matter experts, and org-connected spokespeople
- Focus on driving audience awareness for The Spring, our monthly membership program, as well as programs designed to reach high net worth donors
- Identify and secure key speaking and partnership opportunities
- Draft speeches, opinion pieces, and articles for submission to relevant outlets
- Serve as the communications counselor to the CEO and leadership for all internal and external comms
- Media Relations and Communications Operations:
- Responsible for all aspects of media relations and public relations, handling all incoming media requests, and overseeing the development of any needed materials
- Leverage existing relationships and cultivate new ones with relevant journalists, editorial boards, other outlets, and networks to generate broad coverage of charity: water’s mission, approach, and programs
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting materials as needed
- Provide interview coaching to staff as needed
- Establish relationships as appropriate with outside agencies or services; manage these vendor relationships and contracts
- Provide consistent media reporting, campaign recaps, and KPI tracking to the executive team and business stakeholders
- Leading influencer strategy and executing influencer events across departments; manage organization-wide influencer KPIs and tracking dashboards to help evolve influencer product offering
- Partnering with Marketing, Creative, and Product on content strategy that drives traffic to the website and innovates across social channels; amplifying activation campaigns to acquire new audiences and donors; building a Product Marketing practice to go-to-market with web product and other launches (i.e. pop-up retail)
- Working with Brand Partnerships to develop strong business stories and collaborations with corporate partners
- Evolving our merchandise offering and driving awareness through product collaborations and placement
- Collaborating with special events teams across the organization to advise on format of events, venue selection, talent, and guest list curation
- Crisis communications:
- Rapidly respond to, lead, and coordinate proactive crisis management across social, content, e-commerce, corporate, customer service, etc.
- Draft statements and act as company spokesperson in crisis situations
- Budget oversight:
- Oversee yearly budget for charity: water’s communications programs, influencer program, agencies, and team
YOU MUST HAVE…
- 10+ years experience in a management role either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated skill in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning a subject matter in the media to achieve high impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally-focused) with a variety of print and online communications media, including podcasts and television
- Demonstrated experience and leadership working with c-level executives in managing comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful approaches on how new media technologies can be utilized
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Bachelor's or an advanced degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiations and conflict resolution
- Experience owning comms strategy at a mission-based organization
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You have a remarkable track record
You have a history of leading successful initiatives with measurable results that have impacted the bottom line. Your years of applicable experience have cultivated your wisdom and nuanced creativity for this position.
You're a problem solver and strategic thinker; you connect all the dots
We find ways of getting it done at charity: water. We don't invest time on why it can't be done. You know how to articulate and roll out solutions, recognizing there are many solutions to the same problem. You find new and effective ways to streamline and create processes to increase efficiency.
You’re a great communicator
You operate with poise, dignity, and reliability in both your personal and professional worlds. You have excellent communication skills, both while speaking and in writing. You have professional candor and you're great at resolving problems quickly and effectively.
You’re a team player
You can coordinate efforts with many different departments -- both internal and external -- to get the job done right. You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced start-up environment, with people who are passionate about their work. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you.
At charity: water, we believe that water changes everything. We work with local implementing partners to fund sustainable solutions that provide clean and safe drinking water in developing countries. Since 2006, with a diverse team of world-changers and an unstoppable community of supporters, we’ve brought clean water to more than 12 million people worldwide. With the makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation, contagious passion, beautifully-crafted stories, and a powerful brand that inspires a new kind of generosity.
At charity: water, we value every background, identity, and experience. We believe that a diverse team, informed by different cultures and perspectives, makes us stronger. We are committed to doing the work and challenging each other to be an organization in which everyone is respected and heard. We commit to providing genuine opportunities for all people to thrive. And we will continue to embed diversity, inclusion, belonging, and equality in everything we do.