Main areas of focus: Financial compliance, Financial systems administration, Program Finance Compliance
Location: This opportunity is open to any applicant eligible to work in the U.S. or with an existing U.S. work permit. We are currently a fully remote workplace.
You'll be ensuring financial and water program compliance by employing your world-class accounting acumen and attention to detail.
As a Junior Accountant, you’ll take your first steps in the accounting profession. Reporting to the Accounting Manager, you’ll be the Accounts Payable champion, reviewing the coding of invoices and expense reports. You’ll work closely with the accounting team to ensure our organization’s books are kept up-to-date, accurate, and comply with the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Additionally, you’ll collaborate with the Program Finance team to ensure our Program Grant Partner’s adhere to our Compliance and Financial guidelines.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Reviewing invoices, expense reports, and credit card expenses for accurate coding to the general ledger
- Investigating and responding to internal and vendor inquiries related to expense transactions
- Coaching new employees on how to navigate and master the expenditure system and process
- Serving as a key player in month close, preparing journal entries and reconciling accounts, including owning accounts payable and prepaid accounts
- Assisting with compliance matters such as the annual audit and the 990 tax return
- Assisting the department in the creation of new processes and implementation of new systems as the organization continues to evolve and grow
- Reviewing compliance documents as part of Grant approval process
- Managing additional administrative responsibilities and projects as needed
YOU MUST HAVE…
- A degree in Accounting, Finance, or relevant field
- 1+ year of office work experience
- Organizational and detail-oriented skills that extend throughout your work
- Mastery Microsoft Word and Excel
- Exceptional comprehension and collaboration skills
- A “yes-and” attitude
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Current CPA Designation with a good knowledge on Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Public Accounting experience and/or nonprofit exposure
- Excel and Powerpoint skills from formal training (e.g., Training the Street, banking program, etc.)
- Experience with expense management platforms such as Concur
- Proficiency in additional languages (French speakers are especially encouraged to apply)
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
You're passionate about accuracy
You double and triple-check your work because you know that accurate data is crucial for an Accounting Department to operate successfully. You pay strong attention to detail, have excellent math, grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills.
You're driven and can drive your own boat
You can work unaccompanied and are a self-starter. You work just as hard and meticulously by yourself as you do when someone is looking.
You're organized and diligent
You can multitask because you keep things in order. You're timely and you leave breadcrumbs so others could figure out how you got the job done.
You're a team player
You can coordinate efforts across departments, and effectively work with others, both internally and externally to get the job done right. You use sound judgment and know to follow up to ensure everyone's on the same page.
The Finance team, which includes Accounting, Business Operations, Revenue Operations, and Legal, works diligently to support our entire organization, keeping our books in pristine order, ensuring that our Operations and Water funds are being allocated responsibility and in line with our strategic goals. They guarantee our donor promise and core pillar that 100% of our public donations will be utilized for water projects.
At charity: water, we believe that water changes everything. We work with local implementing partners to fund sustainable solutions that provide clean and safe drinking water in developing countries. Since 2006, with a diverse team of world-changers and an unstoppable community of supporters, we’ve brought clean water to more than 12 million people worldwide. With the makings of a mid-size tech startup, we’re reinventing charity through endless innovation, contagious passion, beautifully-crafted stories, and a powerful brand that inspires a new kind of generosity.
At charity: water, we value every background, identity, and experience. We believe that a diverse team, informed by different cultures and perspectives, makes us stronger. We are committed to doing the work and challenging each other to be an organization in which everyone is respected and heard. We commit to providing genuine opportunities for all people to thrive. And we will continue to embed diversity, inclusion, belonging, and equality in everything we do.