Head of Credit
Comhar Linn INTO CU is ambitious about its future and is now seeking a Head of Credit to support its growth plans. The successful candidate will be responsible for all aspects of the member's loan experience and underwriting. The successful candidate will also be tasked with expanding the capabilities of Comhar Linn into new credit sectors, such as longer-term lending and secured / mortgage lending. Other opportunities exist for Comhar Linn to diversify its lending base, and the successful candidate will support this ambition by evolving the credit risk appetite of the organisation.
We are also looking for a person who has a background in banking, credit unions or lending but is also passionate about service. The member relationship is our most valuable asset, and it is critical that we treat every member fairly, with dignity and facilitate their credit needs within the appropriate credit risk appetite. You will have a team of five people working in the lending function.
As a member of the senior management team, the successful candidate will contribute to the strategic development and sustainable growth of Comhar Linn INTO CU. We are looking for a team player and a self-starter, a person who has high attention to detail, an analytical thinker who is results-driven with excellent communication skills.
Comhar Linn INTO CU describes itself as the place “Where Teachers Borrow”; this role is crucial to ensuring that we maintain and grow our market share as the place where teachers to borrow. The successful candidate working with the CEO and management team is expected to contribute to sustaining our strategic position.
- Oversee and lead the Credit function
- Work with the Credit Committee and Board to develop a strategically effective credit policy;
- Assess and approve loans in accordance with the regulations and Credit Policy;
- Ensuring the appropriate credit policies, systems, procedures and practices are operating efficiently and effectively;
- Ability to translate the Credit Union ethos into credit decisions informed by our values and risk appetite;
- Compliance and Risk Management
- Ensure compliance of the overall lending function within the parameters of the Credit Policy, risk appetite and regulations;
- Review the loan portfolio regularly to identify emerging risks, trends or opportunities for growth;
- Perform reviews of the lending decisions to inform amendments to the Credit Policy and support team development;
- Member service
- Lead the team to ensure strong relationships are built with members and that best in class service is maintained;
- Handle and respond to member feedback, complete detailed analysis or investigation and ensure the timely resolution of member queries;
- Ensure that a culture of continuous improvement exists to deliver effective service within the appropriate risk appetite;
- Product development
- Develop a deep understanding of our members and their behaviors, to support the marketing team;
- Engage with and provide feedback to the marketing team on the member trends and characteristics to support an effecting marketing approach;
- Develop new lending products, prepare analysis and business cases for approval that is consistent with the overall Credit Union ethos;
- Build a roadmap of strategic and tactical opportunities to develop the product set of the credit union;
- Take responsibility for the motivation, performance management and personal development of your team;
- Provide timely and adequate management reporting and develop KPIs to support the role;
- Manage budget within the overall credit union budget cycle;
- Act as an ambassador and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including the Dept Education and Skills, the INTO and other external organisations;
- A genuine interest in the Credit Union movement and passion for its values and ethos.
The person will have a strong credit background with a track record of excellent credit risk and experience developing new products and opportunities. Ideally, from a banking, credit or credit union background with a minimum of five-plus years’ experience in a comparable role.
The successful candidate should be a self-starter who is meticulous and results-driven. They will need to manage multiple projects simultaneously and prioritise effectively.
Ideally, the candidate will have strong communication, leadership and people management skills, including the ability to identify key talent, coach, develop talent, engage employees and an ability to hold employees and teams accountable and invested in their results.
A 3rd level qualification in a related business discipline and knowledge of the I.N.T.O and primary schools is desirable. A QFA or the appropriate APA qualification is a requirement for the role.
This is a control function under the Central Bank fitness and probity regime.
The successful candidate will outline their strategy for how a CU can evolve its credit profile within the current regulatory environment, common bond and mindful of our credit risk appetite. The candidate should also outline how they can use technological solutions to increase efficiency in the underwriting decision, and time to approval for members. We are looking for someone who engages with and encourages team and member feedback to support their approach.
Background to the Credit Union:
Comhar Linn INTO Credit Union is the preferred provider of loans and day-to-day banking for our members within or connected to the teaching community. We offer a personal and responsive service to our members and care about their needs. This creates a strong affinity with our members, and we trust that they will be advocates for us and the services we offer. The organisation is well respected due to our co-operative approach and our not-for-profit nature.
Applications and covering letter to be received on or before Wednesday 23rd October.
This is a unique opportunity to join a highly successful financial institution and to shape the future success and strategy of Comhar Linn INTO Credit Union.