Position Summary: The Underwriter is primarily responsible for the underwriting and credit decisions of residential mortgage applications secured by real property.
Requirements for position
- A minimum of five (5) years experience in Processing residential mortgages or a related field.
- Designations including Fannie Mae (DU) and Freddie Mac (LPA)
- Knowledge of Encompass or similar Windows based LOS highly desired.
- Perform detailed quality work within deadlines with direct supervision.
Underwriting Credit Limit: $424,100.00 (or area agency conforming limit)
Essential functions and responsibilities
Under training and direction from the Underwriting Manager, your duties will include the following:
- Underwrite credit and appraisals for conventional conforming FNMA/FHLMC loans.
- Begin the process of obtaining future delegations for FHA, VA and USDA underwriting.
- Effectively assess and determine applicant(s) ability to meet credit obligations and successfully repay mortgage debt.
- Analyze Agency, Investor and Corridor credit policies and guidelines to ensure sustainable lending practices.
- Apply clear underwriting conditions and review documents submitted to satisfy those conditions.
- Balance work flow and multiple priorities using time management skills efficiently to maximize the number of quality loans underwritten each month.
- Participate in Loan Committee on request.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Other Success Factors
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required.
- Maintain a vested interest in all relevant areas of the mortgage industry.
- Work independently while being part of a cohesive team, understanding the necessity to communicate and coordinate work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Regularly contribute to team/department meetings where you will be asked to share and receive best practice coaching allowing for a consistent underwriting experience throughout the company.
- Computer proficiency with all company provided software including Microsoft Office, Encompass, Optimal Blue and other software that may be required to complete your duties.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The physical requirements and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk, use hands and arms to operate office equipment, talk, and hear. Prolonged periods of sitting may be required. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to general office conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by management to perform other instructions and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description. Senior management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and is not intended to change or modify the at-will nature of your employment.