What does a Research Engineer do at DarkOwl?
The world needs more DarkOwls, and fewer bad guys. We are experiencing a time of great growth and are expanding our Research & Development team to generate algorithms, analytic tools, and publications that provide unprecedented capability and insights for our analysts and clients. The right person has strong software development skills, is curious, and is pro-active: rolling up their sleeves, jumping in, and helping making sense of our data so we can stay on the leading edge of darknet analysis.
This is a full-time position based in our downtown Denver office or remote for the right candidate.
What a day in the life of a Research Engineer looks like:
- Work closely with our lead researchers to write, test, and develop analytical tools and solutions to help shape the future of our products.
- Build software prototypes to explore our data, refine algorithms, and test our hypotheses.
- Stay curious, working closely with our data, quickly learning new technologies, and contributing to research ideas and publications.
- Work cross-functionally across engineering and product teams to understand system requirements, define technical tasks, and execute the tasks. If you are a person who likes to work by yourself in a cubicle and not interact with other human beings then this job is not for you, sorry.
- Be Independent (don’t need too much hand holding), Quick learner (we really don’t have that much time to teach, and we aren’t a big company with a training department), Creative (we are trying to accomplish the impossible, so creativity is kind of a prerequisite), Flexible (you betcha. Priorities change, and we need to pivot on a dime)
What you bring to the table:
- Strong software development skills.
- You can operate relatively independently, but also be a team player and understand how to work with remote co-workers. We strive to be a no-drama company.
- You have extensive understanding and experience in some of the following:
- Python, Java, or other high-level programming languages
- R, MATLAB, or other numerical analysis software
- Common developer tools (code repositories, build tools, etc.)
- You must have exposure to some of the following:
- Machine learning
- Darknets and related technology
- Map Reduce and other big-data processing tools
- Stream processing
- SQL and/or No SQL Databases
- Mathematical modeling
DarkOwl does not discriminate in employment matters based on race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support and strive for workplace diversity.