Our client, a rapidly growing start-up using data and analytics to revolutionize live-event ticket sales and distribution, has asked us to find them a Director of Data Science to anchor their big data and data science efforts. Unlike many startups, this company is self-funded and already profitable. This is a great role for a person who wants to play a critical role in an exciting new company by building a data science organization from the ground up.
If you’re the right expert, this role will allow you to set and implement a data science vision as well as build the team to execute on that vision. You won’t be just managing and mentoring, though; you’ll also be able to show your data science chops as you work hands-on with the latest technologies.
Think this could be you? If so, please submit your resume and fill out our questionnaire ASAP!
THE WORK: In this role you will:
- Develop and implement a vision and strategy for data-based decision making throughout the entire organization
- Work with company senior management to define, prioritize, and manage data science opportunities
- Supervise, own and manage the execution and delivery of advanced predictive analytics including things like visualization, data modeling, forecasting, simulation and data analytics built on complex, high-volume and high-dimensional datasets
- Develop and mentor a team of data scientists as they acquire, manipulate, and present data using data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling, and mathematical methods
- Advocate for technical solutions to executive and senior level decision makers, business stakeholders, and engineering teams
- Maintain the balance between sound, mathematically rigorous solutions and rapid delivery
LOCATION: This company is based in San Diego, CA giving you all the benefits of Southern California living. This is one of the most desirable areas to live in the country - a diverse community and growing tech hub, complete with serene beaches and an ideal climate.
If you’re not the California type, however, a remote assignment is also possible for the right candidate.
DURATION: This is a permanent role.
REQUIRED: Applicants must have strong, proven leadership experience including:
- Prior success as a senior manager or director of a successful data science organization delivering solutions to challenging business problems
- Experience evangelizing data science concepts and building support and capabilities across an organization
- Expertise and experience in machine learning (both supervised and unsupervised), statistical modeling, design of experiments and forecasting
- Experience with the full stack of technologies required to deliver data science results: data collection, aggregation, analysis, visualization, productionalization, and monitoring of data science products
- Experience with natural language processing and web scraping
- Experience with SQL, R, and Python and related libraries and technologies (e.g. Pandas, Numpy, Tensorflow)
- Big data modeling work: Hadoop, Hive, Spark
- Ability to quickly grasp business opportunities and develop data science strategies to address those opportunities
DESIRED: In addition, it would be great if you had some background in:
- Event ticket sales and distribution or online marketplaces.
COMPENSATION: A generous compensation package consisting of salary and bonuses that can put your annual compensation in the neighborhood of $200k per year.
In addition, you can expect:
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance
- PTO, sick leave, paid holidays, and volunteer time off
- Company chef who provides breakfast and lunch
- Quarterly Company Outings
- ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Program)
- Standing desks
- Free gym membership
INTERESTED? If you're interested and have the skills, we'd love to hear from you. Please answer our questionnaire and submit your resume right away! Thanks!
NOTE: Dataspace performs background and drug screens on accepted candidates prior to their employment or contract start dates.