Disaster Tech Labs is a technology charity which build & manages wifi networks in disaster & crisis areas in support of other NGO's and first response organisations.
All our work is carried out by unpaid volunteers.
For our ongoing projects we're looking for WiFi network engineers with the following skills:
The Wifi network engineer position is a skilled position responsible for providing wireless and wired network design, installation, support, and administration for a unified wireless and wired network. The wireless network administrator must possess a high degree of technical competence and expertise in the wireless infrastructure family of products, especially in the area of design, functionality, and technical specifications. A broad in-depth understanding of both wireless and wired technologies and all the components necessary to survey, design, secure, rollout, manage, and troubleshoot a ubiquitous wired / wireless network using 802.11 / WiFi access technologies is necessary. Support functions include wireless WLAN / wired LAN designs, planning, installation, implementation, documentation, modifications, and security.
Reporting directly to our CTO, the Wireless Network Administrator performs the following duties:
Provide expert support for wireless and wired networks.
- Design, installation, configuration and ongoing maintenance of all wireless network systems, all wireless peripherals and associated wireless client software.
- Seamlessly integrate wireless and wired networks including encryption, authentication, VLANs, routers, switches, Active Directory, etc.
- Understand wireless design criteria and security standards as promulgated by the IEEE and implement accordingly.
- Securely architect and implement LAN / WLAN network designs such as BYOD initiatives and public and private wired / wireless networks.
- Experience with Aruba Networks hardware & software is preferred.
- Planning, installation, configuration and ongoing maintenance of wired networking infrastructure including routers, switches, and configuring all necessary LAN / WAN protocols in support of wireless infrastructure.
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement technical solutions, network performance monitoring and tuning.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date documentation of wireless systems, sub-systems and other technology solutions.
- Lead preventive maintenance efforts including implementing latest software and firmware upgrades.
- Plan and implement configuration backups, as well as scheduling and coordinating system downtime when appropriate.
- Implement network monitoring tools. Monitor and evaluate network performance and growth and mitigate as necessary.
- Set appropriate network performance level criteria.
- Perform wireless WLAN and wired LAN / WAN network troubleshooting and repair as necessary.
- Configuring and troubleshooting wireless clients via group policy and other mechanisms.