Engineers Without Borders USA builds a better world through engineering projects that empower communities to meet their basic human needs. Our highly skilled volunteers work with communities to find appropriate solutions for their infrastructure needs.
Now, EWB-USA is poised to scale our model and leverage our engineers for even greater impact in the field – through innovative new strategies for delivery that will bring increased efficiency and effectiveness. We have launched a three-year, $50 million campaign to fuel the transformation into the new strategies and beyond.
The Chief Development Officer will build upon the momentum that has been started! Working with the Executive Director and the team, they will get out and talk to prospects and investors about the IMPACT of Engineers Without Borders, and generate results from those conversations to hit our goal and transform our organization. This is the farthest thing from a desk job!
The ideal candidate:
- Believes in the power of engineering to change the world – this is someone who ‘gets’ how engineers think, plan, and act, whether because they’ve trained as an engineer (and know that’s not the right career path for them), or have worked with similar thinkers. This person has a passion to make a difference, whether through work, volunteer, or personal experience – and has seen how engineering can make a meaningful difference in solving problems.
- Is a leader people want to follow – is a distinguished leader who knows how to motivate and lead a team through the uncertainty of fundraising and donor management. This team has a proven track record and is looking for the right leader to take them to the next level at EWB-USA.
- Is inspirational – knows how to engage investors one-on-one around impact and that investor walks out the door inspired and ready to make a commitment to change the world. This is someone who can help make EWB-USA a beloved organization in the minds of our funders.
- Has an incredible level of persistence – he or she just keeps going at the goal, despite roadblocks. This person has encountered plenty of rejection, and is constantly thinking about what new strategies to try out in their next approach, or how to gently plow through resistance.
- Is a creative strategic thinker – rather than being too focused on the details, he or she concentrates one envisioning, simplifying, and then executing strategy and facilitating the most critical steps to effectively engage each prospect or opportunity, from initial preparation and phone call to the final follow-through. They can model what this looks like for the team and then coach it. This person is methodical without letting process slow them down.
- Is a builder – the ideal candidate is someone who gets excited about leading and building one of the most dynamic development teams out there. This person is a lighthouse to others around the vision of the team and the organization.
- Is a true partner to all members of the Management Team. Operating in a silo is not part of the DNA of this leader. This person collaborates and supports the team to collectively model and create an organizational culture of partnership communication, trust, and positivity.
The Chief Development Officer reports to the Chief Executive Officer/Executive Director and is a full member of the Management Team. Has a proven track record of raising $10-$15M of revenue each year, with 6 & 7 figure gifts, and managing a dynamic fundraising team.
Location & Travel. This position is based in our Denver, Colorado headquarters, and will require frequent travel, largely within the U.S.
Compensation & Benefits. EWB-USA offers competitive compensation, 401k savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, a flexible and collaborative work environment as well as a bring your dog to work benefit.