Engineers Without Borders USA
Chief Executive Officer
Engineers Without Borders USA builds a better world through engineering projects that empower communities to meet their basic human needs. Our highly skilled volunteers work with underserved communities around the globe to find appropriate solutions for their pressing infrastructure needs.
EWB-USA is poised to increase our impact in communities and leverage our engineers for even greater impact in the field – through innovative new strategies that will bring increased efficiency and effectiveness.
The Chief Executive Officer will step into the shoes of the retiring, Founder-CEO and will have the opportunity to take EWB-USA to the next level by building upon the tremendous momentum and vision of this dynamic organization. They will get out and talk to communities, volunteers, and partners about the IMPACT of Engineers Without Borders, and generate results from those conversations. Whether it is the expansion of the organization into more focused regional programs, growing the education and knowledge sharing program, or growing partnerships, this is the farthest thing from a desk job!
The Ideal Candidate:
1. Believes in the power of engineering to change the world –This person has a passion to make a difference, whether through work, volunteer, or personal experience – and has seen how volunteerism through engineering can make a meaningful difference in solving complex problems around the globe.
2. Is an inspirational leader people want to follow – The ideal candidate is a leader who knows how to lead, motivate, and engage people during periods of growth and change. The CEO must be able to earn trust and respect from a wide variety of constituents as EWB-USA operates around the globe. This role is for an individual who can lead by persuasion.
3. Has an incredible level of persistence – This person just keeps going at the goal, despite roadblocks. They have encountered plenty of rejection, and are constantly thinking about what new strategies to try out in their next approach, or how to patiently plow through resistance.
4. Is a visionary, strategic thinker – rather than being too focused on the details, the ideal candidate concentrates on envisioning, simplifying, and then executing a powerful strategy. This person is methodical without letting process slow them down.
5. Is a builder – the ideal candidate is someone who gets excited about leading and building one of the most dynamic organizations while understanding that we have a commitment to sustaining the communities that we already work with. This role requires part change agent, facilitator, analyst, and decision maker.
6. Is a true partner to all participants within the EWB-USA community and understands the spirit behind EWB-USA’s programs and the historical growth of the organization. Operating in a silo is not part of the DNA of this leader. This person collaborates and supports the community to collectively model and create an organizational culture of partnership communication, integrity, trust, and positivity.
The Chief Executive Officer reports to the EWB-USA Board of Directors and has overall responsibility for the day to day functions of the organization. The CEO has organizational management skills including operations, finance, governance, statutory reporting, compliance, and risk management. They will have advanced interpersonal skills and a strong ability to demonstrate experience in developing and maintaining strategic partnerships with communities, donors, academia, and volunteers, amongst others.
Location & Travel. This position is based in our Denver, Colorado headquarters, and will require frequent travel, largely within the U.S.
Compensation & Benefits. EWB-USA offers competitive compensation, 401k savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, a flexible and collaborative work environment as well as a bring your dog to work benefit.
CONTACT AND FURTHER INFORMATION:
If this profile truly speaks to you, please apply here. Your application should consist of a persuasive cover letter (not a standard cover letter) and resume.