Engineers Without Borders USA (EWB-USA) harnesses the skills of engineers to tackle challenges that keep the world's poorest from living healthy, and productive lives. EWB-USA’s volunteers are at the heart of the organization and fuel our mission. In 2018, the organization supported more than 3 million individuals across the globe with high caliber engineering services.
EWB-USA is in the midst of a 50-million-dollar campaign and working to fundamentally shift how the organization supports volunteers and manages projects around the world.
Summary of Job
This position is responsible for generating grant revenue from private and public sources in accordance with Engineers Without Borders’ annual fund development plan and will report to the Strategic Development Director. This individual will collaborate with other Development and Program staff to develop a portfolio of foundations with the potential to fund mission priority projects across the country to include identifying, planning, preparing and presenting grant proposals and accompanying materials, as well as completing appropriate follow-through and stewardship for multiple grants.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities
Prepositioning and Capture Planning
- Support senior management to cultivate and strengthen relationships with institutional donors, partner organizations and other stakeholders.
- Assist in identifying new grant sources and ensure compatibility with EWB-USA’s mission.
- Work closely with program directors to acquire an understanding of programming needs to pursue new grant opportunities.
- Work with appropriate staff to maintain data on past performance and corporate capacity, in order to provide timely information for proposal submissions.
Proposal Development and Coordination
- Serve as a proposal coordinator and writer, ensuring the timely submission of high-quality proposals that are responsive to donor requirements, applicable regulations, and EWB-USA needs/standards;
- Prepare and submit grant proposals, letters of inquiry, budgets, and attachments as required;
- Analyze the feasibility of the project’s budget by working with technical staff, management and partner staff to integrate inputs into a responsive, cost-competitive proposal budget.
- Manage annual grants calendar, ensuring that proposal and report deadlines are met. Coordinate with relevant program teams to get updates about program deliverables, and prepare timely reports to grant-maker as needed;
- Maintain current proposal attachments and generate additional supporting documents as needed including letters of support from community partners;
- Lead grant kick-off meetings and that all departments (programs, operations, fundraising) are aware of the grant deliverables and timelines;
- Maintain records of proposals, award letters, and agreements for all grants and foundation contacts are updated in the database.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Proven grant writing skills and track record in securing grants from public and private sources
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in producing grant proposals, with a significant percentage of grant proposals drafted and submitted resulting in grant awards
- Excellent research, analysis, synthesis and presentation skills
- Ability to generate creative solutions, translate concepts, and synthesize complex information and data into compelling grant proposals
- Solid prospect research skills with the ability to distinguish and identify funding opportunities
- Experience with budget preparation and management
- Excellent MS Office skills
- Excellent persuasive writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and precise time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure and produce quality work products
- Work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to make procedural recommendations and decisions
- A Bachelor’s degree is required