Development Officer - Individual Giving
Engineers Without Borders USA
Development Officer - Individual Giving
Reports to: Development Director
FLSA/Status: Exempt/Full time
Hiring Range: $60,000 - $65,000
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Short/Long Term Disability, Life, EAP, paid time off, 11 paid holidays and 401K
WHO WE ARE
Engineers Without Borders USA builds a better world through engineering projects that empower communities to meet their basic human needs. Our highly skilled volunteers work with communities to find appropriate solutions for their infrastructure needs.
Now, EWB-USA is poised to scale our model and leverage our engineers for even greater impact in the field – through innovative new strategies for delivery that will bring increased efficiency and effectiveness.
Our team has been implementing a strategic fundraising model – one that is focused on long-term relationships and engagement To further this approach to fundraising, we are looking for a Development Officer, with experience in individual giving from small dollar donations to major gifts, to join our team.
The Development Officer of Individual Giving is primarily focused on building out a strong engagement strategy for our small dollar donors up through major gift prospects – that is, leveraging our systems platform and existing communications assets to drive engagement and for major gift prospects, getting out and talking about the IMPACT of Engineers Without Borders, and securing revenue from those conversations. The Development Officer will proactively identify these opportunities and pursue these targets.
The ideal candidate:
Knows the power of engineering to change the world – this is someone who ‘gets’ how engineers think, plan, and act, whether because they’ve trained as an engineer, or have worked with similar thinkers. This person has a passion to make a difference, whether through work, volunteer, or personal experience – and has seen how engineering can make a meaningful difference in solving problems.
Has fundraising experience, ideally a setting that includes individual giving from a small to large scale. This is a great storyteller, who engages authentically, whether through an email campaign or in a visit, and is not afraid to make the ask.
Has an incredible level of persistence – just keeps going at the goal, despite roadblocks and declines.
Is process driven – and armed with the knowledge and tenacity to build out the engagement and sales process we need to achieve results.
Is humble and coachable – a lifelong learner. This person is often reflecting on how to do things even better, and takes on things outside their comfort zone.
Enjoys navigating change – the ideal candidate is someone who thrives in a changing environment and manages it in a calm and strategic way. This person has been in high-growth organizations and enjoys helping them handle new levels of complexity and vision.
The Development Officer reports to the Development Director, and will be responsible for securing funding from individual donors, and owning a portfolio of prospects and investors. Key responsibilities include:
Owner of a fundraising portfolio:
- Identify and prioritize prospects from small dollar up to major gifts
- Own relationship management and strategy for all prospects and investors in portfolio
- Prospect research and engagement strategy
- Build targeted campaigns on salesforce platform utilizing donor research (Iwave) and email marketing tools (Pardot)
- Develop engagement pipeline to grow relationships from small dollar to major gifts with clear milestones and targeting by giving amount/segment
- Predisposition planning for major gift prospects
- Prospect visit strategy and planning, including engaging other members of the team as needed
- Visiting with prospects and making asks
- Managing prospect follow-up activities, coordinating with the team as needed
- Collaborating with team members on engagement of existing investors
- Meet or exceed annual fundraising goal
Contributing member of the team:
- Participate in team selling for funding opportunities as needed
- Participate in – and seek out – opportunities to learn about the projects and communities served by EWB, and the internal departments that make this work possible
- Build relationships with colleagues and leadership to identify projects in need of funding
Education & Experience
- A minimum of five years in individual giving and nonprofit fundraising teams with proven experience working on development teams securing $3-5M annually·
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business administration or related field required.
- Salesforce, Iwave, Pardot, Google Suite knowledge preferred
Location & Travel. This is a U.S.-based position, location is flexible. Once it is safe to resume travel, the position will require travel largely within the U.S.
Compensation & Benefits. This is a full-time, exempt position with a comprehensive benefits package. The hiring range for this position is competitive from $60,000 - $65,000, based on experience.
If this profile truly speaks to you, please send a cover letter and resume and fill out the application.
Engineers Without Borders USA is an equal opportunity employer