Job Title: Medical Writer
Company: Fishawack Communications
Department: Medical Writing
Reports To: Vice President, Medical Writing
Provide research, writing, and substantive editing expertise for customized medical communications initiatives.
Responsible for developing and delivering original, accurate, high-quality content (manuscripts, slides, and other editorial assignments) within the project specifications, timeline, and budget.
Content Development-Research, write, and revise high-quality, original editorial content.
- Develops clear, concise outlines, on-target first drafts, and proactively incorporates data/revisions
- Maintains focus and completes projects in timely manner, meeting project timeline, and staying within budget (assuming project scope does not change)
- Assesses each project to proactively identify areas that will require assistance from others (ie, graphic design, editorial support); elicits help as needed
- Gains comfort in working independently on tough assignments; knows when to ask for help
- Continuously complies with Fishawack standard editorial procedures, including ethical standards
Content Editing and Referencing-Edit and appropriately reference content written by others.
- Improves clarity in others’ writing
- Ensures flow, content, and grammar are appropriate
- Enhances clarity and grammatical accuracy of the writing while maintaining the voice/tone/thoughts of external authors
- Ensures scientific accuracy while editing and referencing
Company Representation-Represent the company at client meetings (eg, advisory boards, speaker-training meetings) in a professional manner.
- Serves as onsite editorial resource in a professional manner
- Reviews and revises program content, as needed in an accurate and timely manner
- Prepares speakers for their presentations in a professional manner
- Anticipates additional onsite needs and proactively prepares for these needs
- Proactively assists project team; acts as a collaborative team member
Communication-Effectively and proactively communicate with team members (editorial, editorial support project, client), authors/faculty, and vendors in areas related to project completion.
- Ensures that information is communicated effectively within internal project teams
- Keeps project team and manager apprised of project(s) status (through weekly status meetings or routine email communications) and challenges encountered during the project (eg, changes in scope, delays in receiving comments)
- Prioritizes work, as appropriate and with help of project team and manager
- Proactively provides input to team members to enhance project outcomes
- Offers to assist others in times of slow workloads and requests assistance during times of heavy workloads
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR THIS POSITION
(The behaviors, skills and practices required to accomplish the objectives of this position and in the daily conduct of business.)
- Written Communication-Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect
- Intellectual Horsepower-Is bright and intelligent; deals with concepts and complexity comfortably; described as intellectually sharp, capable, and agile
- Learning On The Fly-Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything
- Organizing -Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; can juggle multiple projects and multiple deadlines; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner
- Time Management-Uses time effectively and efficiently, solving difficult problems with effective solutions; concentrates efforts on more important priorities; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at first answers; can attend to a broad range of activities and get more done in less time than others
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL FISHAWACK POSITIONS
- Client Focus-Is dedicated to meeting and exceeding the expectations and requirements of clients; gets first-hand client information and uses it for improvements in services; acts with clients in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with clients and gains their trust and respect
- Functional/Technical Skills-Has the functional and technical knowledge, skills, and creativity to do the job at an extremely high level of accomplishment
- Ethics/Values/Integrity/Trust-Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; acts in a direct and truthful way; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain
- Authors/Thought Leaders/Experts
- Contract or Freelance Employees
- Internal Departments/All Employees
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required.)
- Education-Required: 4 year post secondary education, or equivalent experience. Bachelor’s degree in the life sciences; PharmD or PhD highly preferred
- Experience-2 years of experience in medical writing; 2 years of experience in the editorial process
- Special Knowledge/Skills-Proficiency in the use of MS Office, specifically Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Proficiency in Internet and PubMed searches. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and as part of a team.