Job Title: Editorial Assistant
Department: Editorial Services
Reports To: Director, Editorial Services
Responsible for editorial project work in support of client project deliverables.
Provide support for editorial assignments, including proofreading work; reference retrieval; permissions acquisition; preparation of submission packages for manuscripts, reference binders, slides, and other editorial assignments; complete assignments on deadline; update project database, as requested; performs administrative functions, as needed.
Deliver project work as assigned, including managing priorities and supporting client-driven projects.
· Maintains regular and accurate updates for publications and related projects
· Effectively coordinates reference retrieval
· Conducts appropriate literature searches for editors, sales personnel, and publications managers based on supplied search criteria
· Accurately and effectively compiles and tracks information on congresses and meetings, journals, and opinion leaders through online searches, telephone calls, faxes, etc
· Accurately prepares journal submission packages for editors
· Accurately proofreads draft and final layouts, presentations, electronic documents, etc against copy edited manuscript or layout
· Manages project files and archiving on assigned projects; files paper and electronic documents based on company guidelines in an organized manner
Style deliverables according to client specifications.
· Creates documents per client/journal/manager/society specifications that are visually appealing with no errors
· Effectively prepares documents for layout, including collating, coding, indicating special design features, highlighting symbols or foreign accents, numbering art, etc
Request and obtain permission for borrowed materials and maintain accurate and trackable records.
· Maintains permissions work related to applicable projects. Requests, compiles, and tracks information pertaining to obtaining permission to reuse borrowed/previously published materials in a complete, neat and orderly manner
· Accurately maintains this information in a central database and runs appropriate status reports as requested in a timely manner
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR THIS POSITION
(The behaviors, skills, and practices required to accomplish the objectives of this position and in the daily conduct of business.)
· Learning on the Fly
Learns quickly when facing new problems; a relentless and versatile learner; open to change; analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement; experiments and will try anything to find solutions; enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks; quickly grasps the essence and the underlying structure of anything
· Time Management
Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts according to prescribed priorities; can attend to a broad range of activities
· Priority Setting
Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL FISHAWACK POSITIONS
· Client Focus
Is dedicated to meeting and exceeding the expectations and requirements of clients; gets first-hand client information and uses it for improvements in services; acts with clients in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with clients and gains their trust and respect
· Functional/Technical Skills
Has the functional and technical knowledge, skills, and creativity to do the job at an extremely high level of accomplishment
Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs during both good and bad times; acts in line with those values; acts in a direct and truthful way; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain
INTERACTIONS (EXTERNAL & INTERNAL DEPARTMENTS)
· Physicians/nurses/pharmacy authors/presenters
· Journal and society/congress contacts
· Project Management
· Medical Writing
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required.)
Bachelor’s degree; degree in life sciences, English, or communications preferred
2+ year experience in the editorial process, publication development, preferably including project management experience. Ability to work and manage daily schedule independently, prioritize projects and handle variable workloads.
· Knowledge of online reference-retrieval tools
· Proficiency in the use of MS Office, specifically Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
· Proficiency in Internet and PubMed searches
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and as part of a team