Scientific Director - Medical Communications
Salary: £Competitive + Excellent Benefits
Location: Conshohocken, Philadelphia (OR fully remote based)
About the role
The Scientific Director (SD) is a senior level executive with a high level of experience in the medical communications industry. Aligned with one or more key Fishawack accounts, the SD has responsibility for providing scientific direction and leadership and delivering/overseeing the delivery of scientific excellence across all projects on their accounts. The Scientific Director provides scientific counsel both internally and to their clients and provides support to the DTLs and Client Service Team in identifying and converting new opportunities. The Scientific Director is hallmarked by scientific and technical excellence within their accounts, as a source of therapeutic expertise within the Company, and as a provider of strategic scientific counsel internally and externally.
- Provide scientific and strategic leadership across their accounts
- Research, write, edit and review high-quality material that is scientifically and/or analytically complex and fulfils a strategic need
- Advise colleagues and clients on publication processes, including compliance and ethical aspects of working with experts and the pharmaceutical industry
- Assist in identifying scientific gaps for the account team, providing recommendations for development or training
The SD provides scientific oversight across the account and works as a medical writer on specific projects as appropriate – notably, more scientifically complex projects and those with a more strategic focus (e.g. publication/communication plans; client and key expert meetings – management, facilitation, workshop activities).
Scientific leadership across their accounts
- Combine in-depth scientific understanding of the product/therapy area with strong commercial awareness to inform all deliverables and communication planning recommendations
- Provide scientific direction and input as required across projects on their accounts
- Lead the development of scientifically complex materials as appropriate, proactively driving projects through to completion
- Keep abreast of the scientific developments relevant to their accounts, disseminating information to the broader account team in a regular and timely manner, and to clients as appropriate
- Work with the Account Lead and Editorial Lead to integrate new account team members – specifically from the scientific perspective
- Mentor more junior team members in developing their scientific knowledge
- Develop effective working relationship with account team
- Provide scientific input and brainstorm opportunities with senior account team colleagues at account team development meetings
- In collaboration with senior colleagues, provide input into resourcing and training needs of individuals to ensure appropriate scientific capabilities across the account team
Client relationship management- The SD builds relationships with clients and experts through their scientific credibility as well as project-specific activities on their accounts.
- Expedite development of Fishawack’s scientific reputation with each client
- Ensure a high level of service, mutual respect and trust to create effective partnerships, rather than vendor relationships, with clients, key experts and other external partners
- Liaise effectively with clients and key experts, acting as the primary point of contact according to account requirements
- Encourage internal team to develop effective relationships with clients and key experts
New business development-The SD supports the development of New Business, working with the commercial team as appropriate to identify and convert new targets and opportunities.
- Provide scientific support in the development of proposals/pitches as appropriate
- Key participant of pitch teams