Lead Data Engineer - Data Team
Lead Data Engineer - Data Team
Flipdish builds consumer mobile applications and websites for thousands of restaurants, used by their millions of customers. The applications they use to order their favourite food is a direct interface between the end customer and our clients’ brand. It’s arguably the most critical touchpoint for any modern business, and we need you to help take that essential interaction to the next level.
You’ll join us in an incredibly exciting phase of transition and growth, as we rapidly expand our development and product teams in Ireland and across the globe.
You won’t be told what to build. You’ll be shown the problems and opportunities, given access to people and resources, and then provided the autonomy and trust to allow you to succeed.
Due to our continued growth, Flipdish is seeking an experienced Lead Data Engineer to join our newly formed Data Team sitting in Technology.
The Data Team’s primary goal is to allow the company to get informed answers to questions posed by various parts of the business.
The Data Team uses information from product usage and other related sources to learn from initiatives of the past, and to add greater confidence for initiatives of the future:
- Visualizing trends of adoption, usage, and churn
- Reducing the margin of error for hypotheses and bets in our product roadmap decisions
- Empowering other teams to become data-driven
The successful candidate for this role will be looking for an exciting new challenge in a hyper-growth environment. You should have a passion for technology and team leadership, and be willing to take on new challenges and input to the company’s growth.
What You'll Do
The Lead Data Engineer reports directly to the CTO, and is responsible for integrating various data sources and ensuring consistent data technology and tool usage across the company functions.
Function-specific data analysts within other departments (for example, Finance, marketing etc), would have access to the data needed for their own requests which would be aligned with the technical direction as set out by the Lead Data Engineer, with whom they will maintain a close working relationship.
Other Responsibilities include:
- Responsible for every step of the data process, from managing data to analyzing it.
- Being Database-centric. The Lead Data engineer will work with data warehouses across multiple databases and are responsible for data orchestration.
- Align data architecture with business requirements
- Develop and maintain the data pipeline required for the extraction, transformation, cleaning, pre-processing, aggregation and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using Python, SQL and other data technologies.
- Develop data set processes
- Identify ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Help conduct research for industry and business questions
- Use large data sets to address business issues
- Prepare data for predictive and prescriptive modeling
- Use data to discover tasks that can be automated
- Data acquisition
- Reasoned. You can make a decision and defend it confidently, based on a thorough understanding of business and product development
- Energised but calm in dynamic situations
- Disciplined and determined, and motivated by team success
- Friendly, empathetic, and considerate
- A deep knowledge of SQL database design and multiple programming languages.
- In-depth knowledge of distributed systems and computer science
- Strong experience in the data warehouse space
- Experience in performing data quality investigation , and presentation of findings to key stakeholders.
- A background of experience in custom ETL design, implementation and maintenance
- Knowledge and experience cleaning and preparing data pipelines for integration into production environments using R or Python
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with big data stack environment
- Orchestration and workflow management tools
- Experience with Microsoft Azure and/or AWS services preferred
- Have a hunger to learn business data and the ability to operate in a self-guided manner
- Software Development best practices
- Competitive salary (DOE)
- 23 days holidays
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible working from home
- Bike to work
- Taxsaver Scheme
- Employee referral programme
- Access to a PRSA
We also have
- Access to training and certification
- Collaborative work environment with a dynamic and diverse team — and we do actually mean this and invest in it
- Team-building activities and social events
- Unparalleled opportunity to grow and advance within the company
We are primarily located in Ireland, but we are a remote team and we will consider highly-qualified applicants from other nearby locations.
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of folks into our organization.
Please note that for this role we only accept applications from candidates directly. No recruitment agency assistance is needed.
Flipdish is a hyper growth technology company (3rd in the 2020 Deloitte Fast 50) who puts hospitality brands of all sizes in control of their business growth with a digital ordering and marketing system that builds brands, grows profits and turns customers into regulars.
With a branded website, app or self-service kiosk, powered by Flipdish’s world-class technology, hospitality brands can directly accept digital orders without having to list on aggregator platforms, at a lower cost and with more control over the customer experience.
Started in 2015 by technology entrepreneurs James and Conor McCarthy, Flipdish is headquartered in Dublin with a team of 150+ Digital Food retailing enthusiasts, 3000 active clients across 12 countries with teams in Ireland, UK, Spain, France, Germany and the US.
Flipdish Mission Statement: “To provide food businesses with the best-in-class tools and support they need to win.”