Genomics Medicine Ireland is one of the fastest growing life sciences companies in Ireland. We are on a mission to improve lives through genomics by developing one of the largest, population-based genetics databases in the world.
We seek out bright, energetic, innovative thinkers to work together to power the cutting-edge genomic research that will advance Ireland, improve health, and provide the research community with knowledge that could impact lives for generations to come. If you thrive in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment, then Genomics Medicine Ireland may be the place for you.
Reporting to Dr Anne Jones, Chief Executive Officer of GMI, and playing a pivotal role in the GMI leadership team, the Vice President Research will provide scientific expertise on the strategy, design and execution of GMI’s studies; working to ensure studies are within scope and conducted with the highest level of compliance. This role will also lead the efforts in overseeing the development and application of cutting-edge approaches to processing, analysing, annotating and interpreting population-scale human genome sequence data. The VP Research will also have responsibility for scientific aspects of business development, strategic partnering and collaboration with companies, institutions and researchers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage a team of Research Scientists and Bioinformaticians to work collaboratively across clinical partnerships, bioinformatics, laboratory, IT and legal/compliance on GMI studies.
- Provide scientific insight to inform study investment decisions.
- Ensure activities are executed within expected scope and in line with the scientific objectives of each study.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to manage team resourcing requirements.
- Manage team to produce a portfolio of scientific publications.
- Develop and maintain key opinion leader relationships.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities.
- Manage headcount resourcing needs. Work with GMI leadership colleagues to source and attract top talent.
- Intellectual Property: Ensure compliance throughout the organisation with all guidance from GMI’s Head of Legal regarding the creation and protection of intellectual property rights.
- Data Protection: Ensure compliance throughout the organisation with all guidance from GMI’s Head of Legal regarding compliance with the GMI Data Protection Policy. Ensure that clear and explicit understanding on data protection features in the negotiation and management of all clinical partnerships.
- Together with colleagues in the GMI leadership team, contribute to the management of the relationship with Pharma Strategic partners. Specifically, provide information, progress reports and scientific research and analysis agreed with partners,
- Business Development: Together with colleagues in the GMI leadership team, contribute to the wider business development goals of GMI.
- New disease areas: Together with colleagues in the GMI leadership team and across the research organisation, contribute to the identification of new potential disease cohorts for development, whether as part of the relationship with Abbvie, or new and separate cohorts
Qualifications and Education
- PhD in a field closely aligned to the goals of GMI, with focus on genomics, genetics and related areas.
- 12+ years’ experience in senior leadership roles in the life sciences sector. Comfortable and credible operating at VP level. A background in genomics, genetics, molecular biology or bioinformatics research and/or commercialisation would be a distinct advantage.
- Strong research experience with a portfolio of published scientific papers in the areas of genetics/genomics.
- Skilled at analysing scientific scope of work. Understands and assigns resources effectively and efficiently. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects concurrently while regularly reporting progress and risks to senior management.
- Strong communication, critical thinking and people management skills. Ability to influence, lead and manage a team. Experience managing teams to deliver against scientific research programme goals and associated business targets.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, demonstrating evidence of ability to work well in a cross-functional team including geneticists, engineers, laboratory scientists and business development professionals. Diplomacy to build key relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of life sciences sector, embracing biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and bio-pharmaceuticals, medical devices, technology and diagnostics, and contemporary advances in precision medicine and immune therapies.
- Responsive, energetic and able to adapt to a fast-moving, constantly evolving, collaborative business environment. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects concurrently while regularly reporting progress and risks to senior management.
- Practical understanding of the healthcare landscape and its implications on the commercial and scientific goals of Genomic Medicine Ireland.