Successful Machinist enjoy the challenges of performing machining tasks utilizing the CNC Vertical Milling Center, Wire EDM Machine, Bridgeport Style Mill, Engine Lathe and Surface Grinder as well as other Machine Shop support equipment (i.e. grinder, belt sander, cold saw, etc.).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Efficiently and accurately set up and operate both conventional and CNC machining equipment to produce components which may include, tooling selection, measuring and loading tooling offsets, part fixturing, and program editing
- Accurately set up and operate a Wire EDM machine, measuring and programming wire offsets, part fixturing, and program editing
- Checks tools for wear, damage, etc., and replaces defective or worn components such as bushings, shims, clamps and pins, and reassembles same
- Accurately adjusts machine settings to complete tasks according to specifications
- Capable of operating various machine shop support equipment including Saws, Belt Sanders, Grinders, and Drill Press
- Calculate speeds & feed rate
- Perform die maintenance & repair, using tool room equipment and hand tools
- Inspects work utilizing basic inspection equipment (calipers, micrometers, depth gage, etc).
- Fabricate and/or repair dies for production
- Review all processes/procedures and generate ideas to support continuous improvement initiatives
- File, grind, and adjust parts as needed
- Capable of accurately reading blueprints, drawings, manuals and specifications to determine dimensions, tolerances, sequences of operations and setup requirements
- Measures, marks, and scribes metal stock for machining
- Keep work area clean, neat, and organized
- Other duties as assigned
- Experienced programing understanding of G codes
- Supports and exhibits the focus of zero defects as well as right-the-first-time attitude
- Provides suggestions or advice to maximize the efficiency of Machine Shop
- Maintains a clean work area and ensures strict adherence to the 5S Standards
- CNC Operational Experience required
- Extensive knowledge of machine shop practices and tooling shop theory
- Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Strong mechanical ability and problem solving skills sufficient to perform fabrication and build activities Blue Print reading
- Knowledge of cutting, forming, milling, grinding, assembly, tool steel composition, tool sharpening, machine repair and set-up, and metal fabrication
- Capable of working independently and have the ability to maintain attention to detail and multitask
- Operate basic metrology instruments, grinders, mills, lathes, drill presses, optical comparator, and EDM machine. Ability to calculate speeds and feeds and perform machine offsets
- Proficient in the use of measuring tools: micrometer, caliper, indicator, and height gages
- Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Able to apply fundamentals of mathematical concepts such as geometry, trigonometry and basic algebraic equations
- Deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Establishes clear priorities and is enthusiastic about delivering accurate and timely results that add value.
- Working knowledge of CAD is a plus
- Proficient MS Office Suite skills and keyboarding skills
- Must possess a “Get it done” attitude
- Able to work autonomously once given a task and be self-directed
- Committed to making positive change, but remaining flexible and able to adapt to company growth and evolving responsibilities
- Able to work within a team environment
- Interested in company results
- Treat people with respect
- Commitment to working safely
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily as well as the ability to handle situations by working as a team.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or four years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of experience as Machinist / Tool & Die Maker
Able to speak, read, write and comprehend in the English Language to perform the duties of this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use his or her hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and remain in a standing position for extended periods of time. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Frequent requirement for attention to detail; prolonged use of a computer terminal, telephones and other electronic equipment. The employee must be able to lift and /or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to occasionally loud and PPE is required. Appropriate hearing protection while in the plant and while working in the machine shop is required as noise levels within the facility meet OSHA requirements for hearing protection equipment.