Relief Program Support Worker - Days
At House of Friendship we believe in what we are doing. We get out of bed each day to make a difference in our community; to walk with and to serve. We are not happy with the status quo. We get energy from ongoing learning and growth. We lead with passion and believe without a doubt that everyone deserves to belong and thrive. We live and breathe our values of Compassion, Inclusion, Justice, Dignity and Hope. And we have fun!
Sounds pretty great doesn’t it? It is!
We are seeking a reliable, emotionally intelligent and organized individual to work overnight shifts at our Men’s Shelter program. You will provide support to men accessing the services of the Charles Street Men’s Shelter – an emergency shelter for males experiencing homelessness. This position is to provide daytime coverage.
**This is a casual position with no regularly scheduled shifts. Shifts will generally be within the hours of 7:00 am and 8:00 pm. Casual staff are required to work a minimum of three shifts per month.**
Your key responsibilities include:
1. Perform intake for those accessing the shelter
2. Janitorial duties
3. Meal set-up and supervision
4. Relate with men accessing the drop-in and/or shelter
5. Perform Shelter team duties ensuring the best possible operation of the program
6. Responsible for working in a healthy and safe manner
Your skills and experience include:
1. Understanding of human interactions usually attained by life experience and/or by related education
2. Ability to enter registration information into data base
3. Ability to perform janitorial duties
4. Ability to carry and operate cleaning equipment (eg. floor buffer, vacuum)
5. Strong interpersonal skills
6. Very good oral and written communication skills
7. Ability to handle crisis situations in a calm manner
8. House of Friendship is open and inviting to qualified candidates with lived experience.
9. Current Standard First Aid Certification or willingness to obtain at hiring
10. Ability to work effectively with people from various backgrounds, abilities, life situations and cultural backgrounds
11. Aptitude for accurate and efficient computer data entry
12. Experience in a social service setting preferred
13. Commitment to understand and uphold the mission and values of House of Friendship is expected
- Working with and encountering participants who may be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and/or experiencing symptoms of mental illness can be expected.
If you are as passionate as we are about serving the community, let’s talk!