Jacaranda Health aims to change the way maternal healthcare is provided in East Africa. We are building better systems and innovations to provide high-quality, patient-centered maternity care, piloting them in our own private hospital, and then working with over 60 government hospitals to improve outcomes for moms and babies in the public sector. We have built a world-class team, developed critical partnerships and support within Kenya, and sparked the interest of the global maternal health community. We have won global and local recognition for our business model, including from the Center for Health Market Innovations, Gates Foundation, and Innovations in Healthcare – and our hospital has been independently rated as among the highest quality in Kenya.
Most of our team is in Nairobi, and we have 2 people in Durham, NC. This position could be in Nairobi, or it could be remote and/or part-time in the US.
Responsibilities and Objectives
Jacaranda Health has a compelling story of success, our operations team in Kenya has generated remarkable innovations in maternal health, and our team and clients are passionate about our work. The Communications and Influence Manager will help Jacaranda synthesize what we are learning and work with other players in the global health landscape to expand our influence. We seek someone who is a consummate consultant and communicator, who wants to apply those talents to shape global health. Responsibilities will include:
- Manage multiple streams of outbound communication: web, blog, social media, newsletters. Help us bring our social media and web presence to a higher level of excellence. Build partnerships with other maternal and global health organizations and platforms to disseminate our results and innovations more broadly.
- Work with design consultants and other team members in Kenya to develop content that inspires replication, and influences global partners and funders.
- Help build Jacaranda’s knowledge management strategy – what we capture and how we share it externally – to position the organization as a leader in the maternal health community. Work closely with leadership and front-line staff to synthesize maternal health innovations and lessons in order to share insights, both internally and externally. This includes understanding our social impact, clinical excellence, business innovations.
- Work with our team in Kenya to improve messaging and storytelling within the organization – and help them capture and communicate stories from the field.
- Passionate about improving lives for moms and babies
- Demonstrated experience with communications and media for public audiences (blogging, social media, journalism, multimedia content generation)
- Strong knowledge of global (and preferably maternal) health content; ability to synthesize our more technical innovations compellingly.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and initiative, entrepreneurial spirit and professional maturity – ability to work remotely against deadlines.
- Flexible and easy-going enough to work with a cross-cultural, multi-disciplinary team in Nairobi
- Proven analytical ability to present information in an insightful and structured manner, and inspire confidence in a wide variety of audiences;
- Passion for storytelling, and strong written and oral communication skills;
- First-hand experience building a global health venture and working with amazing program and research teams
- A chance to work at the cutting edge of maternal health, implementation science, and social enterprise.
- Significant responsibility and independence to drive our communications, content and Influence strategy.
Reports to: Chief Innovation Officer and Executive Director
Location: US or Nairobi (potentially open to remote work)
Full or part-time