Maternal Health Fellow to Improve Services for Pregnant Women during COVID
Summer Fellowship Opportunity: Maternal Health Analyst to Improve Services and Reduce Disparities for Pregnant Women Navigating Care During COVID-19
Seeking a talented intern to build content and improve services to help pregnant and postpartum mothers during COVID.*
Context: The COVID-19 pandemic is having a significant impact on maternal health in the US, and pregnant and postpartum women have faced a constantly evolving set of challenges: Access to primary care services has been reduced, anxiety about visiting hospitals and clinics has increased, and isolation and uncertainty have impacted mental health. At the same time, income shocks have hit vulnerable families as millions of people are laid off and lose health insurance, and existing health disparities are widening.
About Us: In response, Jacaranda Health, a NC-based nonprofit, launched COVID Moms Helpline last month to support pregnant and postpartum women navigating the changing healthcare and economic landscape during COVID-19. Covidmoms.org is a free chat line to which pregnant women and new mothers can text or message any question about pregnancy or postpartum care and COVID and get connected to local maternal health educators and experts for an immediate, informed response or connection to resources. We have seen demand from over 1,000 moms in our first few weeks, especially from underserved populations, and are working to build partnerships to quickly reach as many women as possible. We have launched the service in North Carolina and are in discussions with partners about expanding to other states.
Jacaranda Health is an award-winning global health nonprofit based in Durham, NC, with a decade of experience improving maternal healthcare. We run a digital health platform in Kenya which has supported over 150,000 pregnant mothers, and includes outbound messaging content, machine learning to help triage and flag urgent questions, and a helpdesk where any mom can reach out for rapid information about her health or the health of her baby. In response to the COVID pandemic, we decided to adapt our experience from Kenya to support pregnant and postpartum women in the US.
We are seeking an intern with strong maternal health expertise and analytical abilities who can help us improve our services and content for mothers to improve their experience navigating care and address health disparities. You will work with our team of perinatal educators, technology partners, and digital media strategists. Your role will be to help us improve content and resources for mothers who interact with the helpline - ranging from analyzing conversation to improve empathetic engagement and build scripts, to assessing and prioritizing resources for underserved moms, to measuring impact and thinking about additional services that will improve health outcomes for moms and babies. This is will be an exiting and fast-paced role in a startup nonprofit environment with experienced peers to learn from, and an opportunity to build your experience on the front lines of maternal health.
- You are available to commit full-time from July through late-August (at least).
- Demonstrated experience with maternal health content.
- Familiarity with real issues facing mothers as they navigate the pregnancy and childbirth continuum - social determinants of health, disparities in care, and the constellation of social and clinical services moms need to navigate
- You are excited to roll up your sleeves to expand a platform with immediate positive impact on new and postpartum mothers.
- You have extraordinary organizational, analytical, and project management skills
- You are comfortable working with remote teams
- Desired: experience with North Carolina health systems and services (we will also be operating in other states)
- Desired: MPH, MBA or graduate degree, or alternatively demonstrated work experience in maternal health.
The primary goal of this position is to help us reach more moms with better content and resources that will help improve outcomes and reduce disparities. You will have the following responsibilities:
- Use data, analytics, and human centered design to understand the needs of the moms we serve; design tools and surveys to improve our effectiveness at reaching moms who need help.
- Review conversations from our helpdesk to determine how we can improve successful engagement and solve problems through our platform, crafting guidance and scripts for perinatal educators.
- Engage with external partners to ensure we are providing resources tailored to populations - e.g. Spanish-speaking moms, moms of color, rural moms.
- Work with our technology and social media team to test and improve automated responses.
- Help us design ways to measure impact on mothers and infants.
- Assist in building partnerships in new geographies and states.
- This is an unpaid internship.
- Work with an experienced Jacaranda Health COVID Moms Helpline team, including a team of amazing helpline maternal health specialists and volunteers.
- Opportunity to contribute your time and talent to meaningfully impact maternal and newborn health during this critical time
- Excellent exposure to startup health system innovation.
If interested, please apply with a cover note and your CV.