Community ScoreCard Project Consultant - Nairobi Informal Settlements
Jacaranda Health is a non-profit organization focused on ensuring that all women and their families have access to affordable, high quality and patient-centered maternal and newborn healthcare. Jacaranda Health’s non-profit arm partners with government facilities to adapt tools for impact in the public sector. Our program partnerships with public facilities have grown from 3 facilities in 2015, to 200 facilities serving over 250,000 women and babies across 7 counties in 2020. We currently run two large programs which focus on increasing health-seeking behavior amongst pregnant women/new moms through digital health (“PROMPTS”) and improving provider knowledge and skills to handle emergency obstetrics through a mentor model (“MENTORS”). Jacaranda has research and design components within each of these programs.
Please visit www.jacarandahealth.org for more details.
Jacaranda Health is seeking a consultant to support the implementation of the Community ScoreCard (CSC), originally developed by CARE, with 5 health facilities. The CSC implementation is part of a USAID-funded implementation research project taking place in Kawangware and Mathare within Nairobi City County. The goal of the CSC is to increase linkages and understanding between users of maternal/child health services and the health workers who provide those services.
The Consultant will report to Jacaranda’s Research Manager, working closely with Jacaranda’s project team working on the Nairobi health project. If possible, the consultant may also be given problem-solving and advisory support from CSC experts in Malawi.
This position will be tied to specific deliverables which will be outlined in a schedule. Payment will be made upon successful completion of the deliverables and their approval by the Research Manager and Senior Research Manager.
This role will include the following responsibilities:
- The consultant will lead the implementation of the CSC with 5 health facilities
- The consultant will need to work closely with the local communities surrounding the health facility sites and oversee the entire CSC cycle (initial engagement, preparation, first CSC meetings, interface meeting, charting next steps).
- The consultant will be responsible for documentation of the CSC process, including learnings and short reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences, international development, health, public policy, or related fields
Experience and Expertise
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in community engagement activities, including training
- Previous experience coordinating projects and documenting learnings from start to finish
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with various stakeholders, from community level to county level
- Flexible, self-motivated, and responsible, including the ability to manage finances responsibly
- Demonstrated high level written communication skills in English
- Strong verbal communication skills in Kiswahili and English
- Passion for improving health and community development
What would get us excited?
- Previous experience with the community scorecard
- Previous experience working in informal settlements
- Experience working with health providers
It is anticipated that the execution of the contractor’s deliverables will take place over the course of ~6 months, with 5-10 days of work per month. All activities will take place in Nairobi.