Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc.is an exciting company in the world of international education. We offer a range of courses from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes, in partnership with universities at locations in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, we provide expertise in international student recruitment and focus on first-rate pastoral care and student support. We provide international students with high quality, flexible international education and study opportunities.
The College is operated in partnership with the University of the West on England, located on the University’s Frenchay campus and offers programmes designed to prepare international students for entry to the University of the West of England. The first students were admitted to the College in September 2012.
We are recruiting Sessional Tutors for Science and Engineering to deliver highly effective teaching to prepare international students for entry into the relevant undergraduate programmes at UWE.
The College delivers International Year One Engineering programmes in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electronic Engineering as well as Foundation Level Science programmes. Entry is at first year for students completing Foundation level studies or direct to second year for students on completion of IYO studies. There are opportunities to teach a wide range of subject areas including Mathematics (MATLAB), thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, surveying, hydrology, digital principles, C programming, and physics.
Reporting to the Academic Director, you will be responsible for:
- Delivering modules in your subject area to international students studying on programmes offered at Foundation (year zero), International Year One and Pre-Masters levels by the College and assisting with the development of modules.
- Preparing module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, marking and providing feedback to students.
- Assisting with the maintenance of the College virtual learning environment (VLE). Facilitating student access to same.
- Providing input for related modules to the annual review and reporting process.
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance.
- Providing, when required, academic learning support to a small number of students.
- Participating in regular meetings with teaching and support staff and representing the College at appropriate events and meetings.
You will enjoy working with international students, be customer orientated and performance driven. In addition, you will have:
- A first degree in a relevant subject area, such as Maths, Life Sciences, Engineering or Physics.
- Experience of teaching Science, Maths or Engineering subjects.
- Proven organisational, administrative and IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.).
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrable leadership skills.
- The desire and ability to develop and update teaching material.
In addition, it would be desirable for you to have:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant subject.
- A teaching qualification such as a PGCE or PGCHE.
- Experience of contributing towards the development of and working within, a Virtual Learning Environment.
- The flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines.
- The enthusiasm and motivation to be a creative team player.
- Experience of working with international students.
This appointment will be subject to clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Employment is conditional upon successful completion of DBS and professional reference checks. Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Application method: Apply with your CV and covering letter via our online application form.
Application deadline: 31st January, 2018