Kaplan is one of the world’s largest and most diverse education providers, with global revenues of over $2 billion, over 24,000 employees and operations in North America, South America, Europe, Middle-East, Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Throughout our more than 75-year history, Kaplan has been a beacon for expanding educational access and a leader in instructional innovation.
Each year, we prepare thousands of high school students for the SAT test; we help doctors and nurses pass their licensing tests; we help universities attract international students: we provide programmes which enable adult learners to change or start careers by earning a university degree and we are one of the world’s largest English-language teaching specialists.
About the role
We are now looking to appoint a maternity cover for the Assistant Director of Compliance to oversee the Kaplan UK Compliance function, day to day operations and team and to take on both compliance and legal work as form part of a wider Legal and Compliance team.
The Kaplan Compliance department is responsible for ensuring that the operations of the UK and Ireland businesses are managed in accordance with all applicable student immigration laws, policies and guidance. In addition, working closely with the Legal Department, the Compliance Department also manages anti-corruption compliance, sanctions compliance and is responsible for assuring all colleges work to the requirements of the Educational Oversight Boards including ISI and QAA.
Reporting to the Director of Compliance and Accreditation, the Assistant Director of Compliance and Accreditation will oversee the Ethics and Compliance functions of all UK business units. This will involve identifying and assessing areas of risk in the Kaplan UK business units, working with business units to develop policies, procedures, processes, metrics, reports, and other tools to mitigate key risks and serving as a compliance resource for all UK business units in close collaboration with the UK Director of Compliance and Legal Counsel. The Assistant Director of Compliance will report regularly both to colleagues in Kaplan International, at Kaplan Inc. and Kaplan UK management on compliance matters, at all times striving to maintain a crucial balance between at all times ensuring that the compliance function provides practical and effective support to the business, sales and recruitment functions across the UK Kaplan business units.
Reporting to the Director of Compliance and Accreditation, you will:
- Assist the Director of Compliance and Accreditation in ensuring there is a current and comprehensive infrastructure to support the established Kaplan quality plan/framework and approach to compliance. This includes developing, initiating, maintaining, and revising policies, procedures and the compliance manual for the general operation of the compliance programme and its related activities with the clear objective of preventing illegal, unethical, or improper conduct
- Be the lead on key projects and areas of compliance including GDPR, Anti-bribery and Corruption, Safeguarding U18s and PREVENT
- Ensure the smooth day to day running of the office, effectively resolving issues and problems as they arise, maintaining the strong culture of positive and supportive external and internal customer service within the compliance team and providing support and guidance to team members as needed
- Lead the team in positive communication at all times and ensure training is delivered effectively and appropriately tailored to the receivers
- Work with the Compliance team in utilising a number of technology systems to ensure both internal and external facing communication is accurate and current
- Oversee the compliance training program, for UK teams and for overseas offices including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as on-going training for all employees and managers.
- Oversee other Compliance other projects as they arise
You will either be:
- a lawyer, admitted to practice in the UK, US or Commonwealth jurisdiction with with three or more years experience from a leading London or regional law firm or
- a compliance professional, with demonstrable, significant experience of leading on key compliance areas for a business or organisation
To be considered the role you must be able to demonstrate:
- Outstanding critical analysis and reasoning skills
- High level of intellectual rigour
- Strong project management skills, planning, scheduling, risk assessment, change management, and project control.
- Outstanding communication skills including ability to present clearly and persuasively
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team to specific timeline and deadlines
- Exposure to one or more of the following areas: immigration law, anti-corruption, safeguarding or data protection
- Commercial awareness
- Strong awareness of the Tier 4 regime and its impact on the higher education sector
- A stimulating role in an interesting, high-growth sector
- Dynamic, international environment
- Stunning, architect-designed offices with break-out areas, kitchens, showers and an onsite bar
- Benefits including pension, ride2work scheme, childcare vouchers and discounts at leading retailers
- Basic salary of £70,000-£75,0000 per annum
Please apply with your CV and covering letter highlighting why you why you are suitable for the role. Initial interviews will be via phone, with follow-up interviews at our offices in West Kensington, London.