Sessional Tutor – Computing Science
Teaching rate £29.32 - £39.31 p/hr inclusive (different rates apply to different teaching programmes).
Part-Time Fixed-Term Contract: 26th February – 20th August 2018
Develop your academic career with a world-leading global educator
Are you passionate about teaching international students? Can you make learning fun and accessible for talented students with different learning styles?
We are recruiting Sessional Tutors in Computing Science to join our team at Bournemouth University International College, who can bring their subject alive for students from up to 50 countries around the world. You’ll be teaching students on our Foundation programme with a particular focus on the subject area of Computing Science.
Established in 2013 and operated in partnership with Bournemouth University (BU), the College offers programmes designed to prepare international students for entry to BU. The College recently moved to new purpose-built premises, which are co-located with a student residence and restaurant on BU’s Lansdowne campus.
What does the role involve?
- teaching 2 - 18 hours per week to international students
- developing formative and summative assessments, marking and providing feedback to students
- using and developing the college virtual learning environment (VLE)
- maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance, assessment and academic performance
- keeping up to date with college communication by email and Workday (virtual HR system)
- providing academic learning support to individuals/small groups
- attending and participating in regular internal meetings and representing the college at appropriate events and meetings
- maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of hours worked on Workday
- providing input for related modules to the annual review and reporting process
What’s fun and rewarding about teaching for Bournemouth University International College?
- empowering talented students to think critically and realise their potential
- being challenged to keep material interesting and find new ways of conveying concepts and ideas
- influencing students’ personal and academic development and equipping them with study skills and life skills
- engendering a classroom environment where all students participate and collaborate
- boosting students’ motivation and engagement through technology
What you’ll need to be considered for a teaching position:
- minimum bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject area and postgraduate degree is highly desirable
- teaching experience including teaching international students
- student-centred teaching style
- ability to develop engaging teaching material
- passion for and expertise in your area
- strong rapport building skills
- attention to detail for record-keeping
- ability to work to deadlines
Please apply with CV and covering letter by 5 pm on 23rd February 2018.
Please make sure you are available for the entire period of your contract.
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc. is an exciting company in the world of international education. We offer a range of courses from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes, in partnership with universities at locations in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, we provide expertise in international student recruitment and focus on first-rate pastoral care and student support. We provide international students with high quality, flexible international education and study opportunities.
Note that we reserve the right to appoint a candidate before the above closing date.