Sessional up to £29.32* per hour
*Teaching rate includes preparation for classes and marking of homework and assignments for the class.
Kaplan International Pathways offers university preparation in partnership with leading universities in York, Liverpool, Glasgow, Nottingham, Brighton, Bournemouth, Bristol and London, allowing international students to progress onto a wide range of degree programmes at these partner institutions. In addition to first-rate teaching and excellent study facilities, KIP programmes offer personal academic advice and guidance as well as access to the facilities and resources of our university partners.
Glasgow International College is operated in partnership with the University of Glasgow and offers programmes designed to prepare international students for entry into this university.
Glasgow International College seeks to appoint EAP teachers to assist with the delivery of its Academic English courses.
Our Extended English and Skills terms run for twelve weeks from September to December, March to May, and June to August and we are looking to appoint tutors on a termly basis for 8 or 16 hours of teaching a week. We would also like to increase our bank of sessional tutors for shorter courses and occasional cover.
Applicants must be able to attend the new tutor induction on Tuesday 12th June 2018 and be able to start teaching on Wednesday 13th June 2018.
Main responsibilities and functions
- Teaching General English and Academic English classes and, at times, Academic Skills Preparation modules to students on programmes offered by the college
- Assisting with formative and summative assessment of students through delivery, marking and provision of feedback to students
- Attending regular standardisation sessions (paid at the administrative rate of £16.91 per hour).
- Participating in regular team meetings
- Using and developing the college virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of work and record of hours worked on Workday
- Assisting the college’s Academic Services and Student Services teams in passing information to students and recording students’ attendance and assessment
- Keeping up to date with college communication by email and Workday (virtual HR system)
- Upholding the teaching ethos of Glasgow International College
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the line manager, Subject Leader of ELT & Academic Skills, or the Academic or College Director
As the successful candidate, you will enjoy working with international students, be customer orientated, performance driven and enjoy the challenge of being involved in projects at an early stage of development. In addition you will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree and preferably a Master’s degree in TEFL or Applied Linguistics (a postgraduate degree in any subject and an undergraduate degree in a science subject in particular would also be considered beneficial)
- A CELTA and preferably a DELTA or PGCE in TEFL
- Significant experience of delivering EAP/EFL to international students, preferably within an international and/or a UK FE and/or HE context
- Ability to develop and update teaching material and preferably experience of working within a Virtual Learning Environment
- Strong interest in working with and supporting the needs of international students
- High competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- A student-centred and client-focused approach
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Strong record-keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player
Please apply via our online application form with your CV and covering letter highlighting why you believe you are suitable for this role.
Closing date for applications: 30th June 2018 at 5 pm.
Interviews will be held from 2nd July 2018 with a view to a June start. Selected candidates will be required to provide a detailed lesson plan
Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Employment is conditional upon successful completion of DBS certification and professional reference checks.