Start date: January 2019
Develop your academic career with a world-leading global educator
Are you passionate about teaching Science and Engineering? Can you bring learning to life for students with different learning styles and interests?
We are recruiting exceptional Science and Engineering teachers to join our team at UWE Bristol International College. You will have the opportunity to deliver outstanding lessons across a range of science disciplines on our International year One in Engineering and Foundation Certificate in Science & Engineering.
What is great about Science and Engineering at UWEBIC?
You will have the opportunity to guide our international students along their academic journey – engaging young scientists and preparing them for their future. You will provide a high-quality learning experience to help our students to realise their potential.
What will a typical day look like?
There is no typical day, but generally you will have up to six hours of classes a day teaching various modules; delivering key material in class, practical laboratory work, project support, one-to-one tutorials, support workshops
The programmes are split into two terms and depending of their degree pathway you will be guiding students through a range of modules. The International Year One in Engineering offers three pathways: Aerospace, Automotive and Mechanical Engineering pathway, Civil Engineering pathway and Electronic Engineering pathway. The Foundation Certificate in Science and Engineering offers two pathways: Physical Sciences and Engineering pathway and Life Sciences pathway.
The modules taught on The International Year One in Engineering includes:
*Design, Manufacture and Materials *Fluid Mechanics *Mechanical Stress and Dynamics
*Thermodynamics *Civil Engineering Technology and Drawing *Surveying and GIS
*Civil Engineering Field Study *Electrical and Electronic Engineering Principles * Programming
*Digital Electronic Systems
You will also be involved in:
· Contributing to the design and development of Engineering modules offered by the College
· Preparing module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, marking and providing feedback to students, second marking assessments
· Developing, reviewing and updating course material for related modules, including module material on the virtual learning environment
· Providing academic leadership for a designated number of engineering modules, this includes preparing module guides and reports, and updating module-related information
· Providing input for related modules to the annual review and reporting process maintaining accurate student attendance and performance records
· Providing academic learning support to a number of students
· Representing the College at appropriate events and meetings
· Any other duties as required from time to time by the Academic Director and Programme Leader for Science and Engineering
What you will need to be considered for a teaching position:
· Minimum of a Master degree in a related subject area, such as Engineering or Physics
· Experience of teaching Engineering at HE institutions
· A teaching certificate, or currently undertaking a relevant course is desirable
· Proven organisational, administrative and IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
· Fluent spoken and written English
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbally and in writing
· The desire and ability to develop and update teaching material
· The flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
· The enthusiasm and motivation to be a creative team player
· Attention to detail for record keeping
· Experience of working with international students is desirable
Please apply via the job application website with your CV and covering letter, highlighting why you believe you are suitable for the role and how you meet the job specifications as listed below.
This appointment will be subject to clearance from the Disclosure Barring Service. Employment is conditional upon successful completion of DBS and professional reference checks. Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc.is an exciting company in the world of international education. We offer a range of courses from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes, in partnership with universities at locations in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, we provide expertise in international student recruitment and focus on first-rate pastoral care and student support. We provide international students with high quality, flexible international education and study opportunities.