Kaplan International English, a division of Kaplan Inc., is an exciting company in the world of international education. With 41 English language schools in the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, we are a leading provider of English language courses and other study abroad programmes for students from more than 100 countries around the world.
Our Kaplan Cambridge school is located in a very quiet and peaceful area of Cambridge. The school is housed in an old Victorian house, with 8 classrooms, Café, Study Centre and large garden. It’s just a twenty minute walk along the river to the city centre, with easy access to the University College and museums. We offer a comprehensive range of English courses and are an official Trinity exam centre.
We are looking to recruit a Senior Teacher to assist the Director of Studies (DoS) in the overall development and management of the Academic department including conducting formal teacher observations and delivering an exciting and dynamic CPD programme.
Your main responsibilities will include:
• To assist the DoS with the overall management of the academic department and cover for them in their absence if required.
• To teach a lesson bank of a minimum of 21 hours per week
• To prepare and teach classes to a high standard (please refer to your copy of the Teachers’ Handbook for information regarding teaching and classes)
• To ensure the highest quality of teaching is being delivered
• To mentor newly recruited teaching staff and to instruct and support them in the academic and administrative processes of the school.
• To provide support to students with academic queries on a day-to-day basis
• To assist in the Day One testing and induction for new students.
• To communicate with the Sales team at HO regarding pre-arrival tests and advise on appropriate courses and course lengths
• To identify training needs and areas for improvement and lead staff training and development
• To monitor and develop teaching and learning resources to ensure that appropriate materials and supplementary materials are available according to the syllabus.
• To ensure teachers are completing schemes of work on a weekly basis.
• To carry out formal and informal lesson observations
• You may occasionally be required to have the school emergency phone
• All members of the school team are responsible for all aspects of our students safeguarding and welfare- in conjunction with the wider school and company management teams.
To be successful in this role you will:
• DELTA or equivalent such as MA TEFL/EFL including observed teaching/Trinity Diploma or International Equivalent.
• A bachelor’s degree as minimum
• Strong interest in teacher training and CPD
• Experience of conducting teacher observations
• Experience of teaching exam preparation, EAP, Business English classes
• Excellent IT skills
• Has a demonstrable interest in technology and an ability to use technology in an educational environment
• Demonstrates a high level of customer service practices
• Excellent communication skills
Application method: Apply with your CV and covering letter via our online application form by Friday, 8th June.
Please note that offers of employment are always subject to proof of eligibility to work in the UK and Ireland and satisfactory reference checks. Additionally, as part of our commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, certain positions will be subject to enhanced DBS checks. Please note that all gaps in CVs will be investigated and that reference requests will ask specifically whether there is any reason that you should not be engaged in situations where you have responsibility for, or substantial access to, persons under 18.
Disclaimer and Revision Date
This is a non-exhaustive list of the duties of the above role and the person specification of the job holder. The Company reserves the right to amend this document as the needs of the business require.