Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., is an exciting company in the world of international education. We offer a range of courses from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China, Japan and Nigeria through to full degree programmes, in partnership with universities at locations in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in international student recruitment and focus on first-rate pastoral care and student support, we provide international students with high quality, flexible international education and study opportunities. As part of a US-listed business, the company is subject to Sarbanes-Oxley legislation.
Kaplan provides accommodation to well over 2,000 international students each year and we are now recruiting a Finance Administrator (Student Accommodation Deposits) to focus on the administration surrounding student accommodation deposits.
You’ll be based in our Kaplan International Head Office (West Kensington, London) and will report to the Head of Revenue and Billing for UK Pathways. You’ll work closely with both Student Services in our colleges and Kaplan-managed Residences, as well as with our Head Office based Accommodations Sales team and Credit Control team.
As our Finance Administrator (Student Accommodation Deposits) you’ll be responsible for the whole process and for ensuring that we are compliant with legally-imposed deadlines for registering and paying the deposits to the external deposit-holding companies. The process runs from the acknowledgement of the accommodation deposit receipt from the student, when they sign the contract for accommodation, to accounting for any accommodation damage charges and notifying the deposit-holding company of these charges, to advising the company that they may release any remaining deposit to the student.
You’ll liaise with many different people: internally with college staff, the accommodation sales team, and credit controllers, as well as with our students. At the end of their tenancy students must be advised that they can reclaim any remaining deposit and may require reminders to do so.
You’ll also update the student ledger within our student management system for the deposit and accommodation damage charges. You’ll be involved in process improvements and ensuring a strong control environment and rigorous compliance with controls.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Update and maintain Kaplan student ledger in relation to the accommodation deposit collected and for accommodation damage charges. This includes at least 6 different actions per student in the student ledger
- Create a student record with the external deposit holding company, Log in and create an account for each Student with all relevant details about the accommodation, including location, start/end dates, amount, date received, name, contact details, address
- Advise students how to reclaim deposits at the end of their contract
- Respond to/co-ordinate the resolution to any queries relating to contested damage charges
- Issue reminders to students to ensure they ‘release’ the deposit with the deposit holding company, necessary to allow us to recover the damage charges owed to us
- Play a key role in ensuring a strong control environment and SOX compliance
- Communication with the central accommodation sales team, college staff and credit controllers providing information or asking for details to ensure the job can be done well
- Accounting / work experience to be able to demonstrate comfort with numbers is required
- Extremely accurate and detail-focused
- Efficient in approach to work, to be able to manage the volume of work
- A great team player, able to build good relationships with the varied staff in the organisation this role will work with
- Excellent, polished communication skills on the phone and in writing to be able to deal well with both financial and non-financial staff in the organisation and with students
- Good Excel skills
- Strong interest in processes and systems
- Initiative to identify improvements and drive to deliver change
- Experience with accounting software (desirable)
What we can offer you
- A supportive and high-performing environment in which to grow and develop
- Attractive offices with break-out areas, kitchens and an onsite bar
- International, multilingual colleagues with more than 30 languages amongst them
- Benefits including pension, ride2work scheme, childcare vouchers and discounts at leading retailers
- Study support for ACCA, CIMA or similar
Application method and closing date
Please apply with a CV and covering letter highlighting why you believe you are suitable for this role, via our online application form.
Closing date: Friday, 8th June 2018
Please note that offers of employment are always subject to proof of eligibility to work in the UK and satisfactory reference checks. Additionally, as part of our commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, certain positions will be subject to enhanced DBS checks.