About Kaplan International Pathways
Part of Kaplan Inc., Kaplan International Pathways offers university preparation in partnership with leading universities in Nottingham, Liverpool, Glasgow, Brighton, Bristol, Bournemouth, London and York, which provide an academic pathway for international students to enter a wide range of degree programmes at partner institutions. Our success is based on a profound understanding of the needs of our partner institutions and students, proven expertise in delivering international students with an inspirational learning experience and excellent results in student retention and progression year after year.
University of Nottingham International College
Set up in partnership with the University of Nottingham, which is ranked in the top 1% of Universities in the world, the University of Nottingham International College (TUNIC) provides pathways for international students wishing to study on degrees at the University of Nottingham. Located on University Boulevard opposite the University campus, the college has grown rapidly over the past 15 months delivering undergraduate Foundation Certificate programmes and Pre-Master’s programmes as well as a range of other support and extracurricular services for talented and ambitious students.
About the role
You will have strategic and operational oversight of the quality of the entire student journey from arrival in the UK to registration at university and beyond. You will have overall responsibility for the business support side of the college, including managing the administrative and support team who provide Student and Academic Services.
You will have specific responsibilities for student support, student engagement, welfare and safeguarding; for building and maintaining relationships with university partner departments and managing related processes and data-flow; for the management of Tier 4 compliance; and for the management of external visits and communications, and the college’s social media. You will also ensure that Academic Services support both students and staff with effective management of timetables, results and transcripts, academic regulations, and reporting; and that student progression to university is efficient and effective.
The post will be of particular interest to candidates who enjoy working with and supporting the needs of international students. The post holder will be a member of the college Senior Management Team.
Main responsibilities and functions
- Management. Developing and overseeing the management of the office to ensure effective and efficient delivery of all non-academic functions;
- Direct line management of the College Services manager and teams as the team grows to accommodate the growth in student numbers from a start-up position, covering the areas of student services, compliance, arrivals, student welfare, communications, progression, college operations and academic administration;
- Finance. Responsibility for effective and efficient management of Student Services budgets in line with agreed targets, and oversight of student finance.
- Compliance. Working to ensure the College is compliant with all UKVI regulations and aligned with relevant QAA Quality Code expectations and indicators of sound practice, with particular reference to visa, Under 18 and disability issues;
- Policies. Contributing to the development and implementation of Kaplan International Pathway policies related to student experience for use within the College.
- Data. Managing and maintaining the College electronic student management system ensuring that data is accurate and input/updated in a timely manner and in accordance with relevant procedures; also ensuring confidentiality is maintained, as appropriate. Producing data from the system as required.
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
Ensuring the quality of the student experience at the College from the point of confirmation of place to completion of studies, ensuring the following key activities are effectively managed and enhanced:
- Admission and Progression. Developing and maintaining strong links with relevant academic and non-academic staff in the partner university to support admission to the International college and progression to the University of Nottingham;
- Arrival, Registration, Orientation. Ensuring the College’s arrivals, registration and orientation services are managed in an effective and efficient manner;
- Student Welfare. Having responsibility for the strategic development of pastoral care and welfare support, including managing the support of students who are under 18 years old, being the college safeguarding officer and leading the College’s PREVENT strategy.
- Visas & Tier 4 obligations: Managing and developing activities and communications to ensure staff and students are aware of visa guidance resources available and students’ Tier 4 obligations;
- Timetabling. Liaising with Academic Managers and when appropriate the University of Nottingham, to ensure that student timetables are effectively and efficiently administered.
- Attendance. Managing and dealing with academic attendance and retention issues in the College, working closely with colleagues across the College, and auditing to ensure that recording of attendance is carried out in a timely manner;
- The Student Voice. Working with the College Director and senior academic colleagues to implement and operate an effective system of student representation in the College. Driving student satisfaction by reporting and acting on feedback from that system, the End of Programme questionnaires, and other feedback mechanisms.
- Complaints & Student Disciplinary: Having overall responsibility for managing the complaints procedure and student disciplinary issues.
- Service Level Agreements (SLAs). Having responsibility for maintaining, reviewing and developing College SLAs with the University of Nottingham.
- Key partner relationships.
- All service departments at the University of Nottingham. Ensuring a cooperative working relationship and a timely and effective flow of data.
- Kaplan International Pathway Sales, Recruitment and Admissions. Working collaboratively to promote the College, and to ensure the efficient flow of information.
- Sponsors, Parents, Agents and Guardians. Developing and maintaining relationships with agents, sponsors and parents, and providing regular feedback on performance and any issues.
- University Placement Service. Managing and developing the College’s University Placement Service, working with colleagues in the College and wider Kaplan colleagues to ensure the smooth running of the system and the successful placement of students in liaison with host and partner universities.
MARKETING AND STUDENT RECRUITMENT
- Ensuring strong integration between administrative teams to provide the best possible customer service to students and stakeholders (agents, sponsors, parents and guardians).
- Supporting marketing and recruitment activities for the College through helping to host visits and running effective local promotional activities in partnership with the Kaplan Sales and Admissions team.
REPORTING and REPRESENTATION
- Contributing to the College Annual Report and other reports as and when required;
- Representing the College on all College Service related groups.
- Deputising when required on non-academic matters for the College Director in his/her absence;
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the College Director.
You will be customer orientated professional with management/team leadership experience, gained preferably in the education or EFL sector.
Key skills and knowledge will include:
- A UK undergraduate degree or equivalent and substantial professional experience.
- A sound understanding of UK further and higher education and experience of managing support activity and staff in an international and/or UK further and/or higher education context.
- Understanding of and experience in student administration, student support and/or student welfare issues and systems, preferably in an international context, as well as a good knowledge of UKVI and Tier 4 regulations.
- Strong leadership as demonstrated by a proven track record in this area.
- A desire to help international students with their lives in the UK and their journey into university.
- A proven track record in leading, developing and delivering initiatives with a strong customer service and results focus.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate issues to a wide audience, including those for whom English is not a first language.
- An ability to prioritise effectively, be flexible and manage under pressure.
- Sound IT skills, including MS Office and Excel, and experience of working with student management system(s).
- Strong project management and strong organisational skills as demonstrated by experience.
In addition you will be enthusiastic, performance-driven, with a desire for development within the role, and willingness to work across, as well as up and down, the College structure, as well as with external partners and stakeholders.
Please apply with CV and covering letter by Monday 18th June with interviews expected to be held week commencing 2nd July 2018.