Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan, Inc., is an exciting company in the world of international education. In our International Higher Education division, we offer a range of courses from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China, the Middle East and Nigeria through to full degree programmes, often in partnership with universities, at locations in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in international student recruitment and focus on first-rate pastoral care and student support, we offer international students high quality, flexible international higher education study opportunities.
Internships at Kaplan International
We are a committed provider of internships for sandwich placement students and are excited to be welcoming 3 placement students to our HR and Finance teams for the next academic year.
Based in our head office in West Kensington, you’ll have the opportunity to work in a diverse, multinational and sociable team, where during the course of your year-long internship, you can expect to celebrate Chinese New Year, Diwali, a number of other cultural events and even put your baking skills to the test for one of our fundraising bake-offs!
About the internship:
This internship is based in the Kaplan International Pathways Finance team, where you’ll be responsible for managing the collection and release of accommodation deposits. As well as providing tuition for international students, we are also a ‘landlord’ to over 2000 students staying in our residential accommodation in Bournemouth, Nottingham, Glasgow. Management of accommodation deposits is a regulated activity which requires us to submit these deposits to a third-party company to look after for the duration of our students’ stay.
What you’ll be doing
From logging payments on the student management system and uploading payments to our Deposit protection partner’s portal through to communicating with students about damage charges and then releasing payment when the student vacates the property at the end of their programme, you will be the central point for all accommodation deposit activities and queries. Getting the job done will involve daily communication via Skype, email and telephone with students, residence teams and college staff across the UK as well as contact with your colleagues in credit control.
Specifically, your internship will involve:
- Overall responsibility for the accommodation deposit ledger
- Working with our deposit protection partner companies
- Logging deposits
- Handling the communication with students about damage charges
- Processing damage charges
- Refunding deposits
- Creating and maintaining student records with our external deposit holding company
- Resolving any queries relating to the contested damage chargers
The internship involves a high degree of autonomy so if you’re someone who likes control over your work and enjoys organising their day, this internship will suit you. You will also benefit from working in a supportive team with colleagues who will be eager to help and train you. We are keen for you to contribute ideas on ways of working and will give you opportunities to influence decisions about how we do things. In particular, with a new system on the horizon, you will have an important role to play in developing processes and procedures.
What can we offer you?
- A supportive manager who is committed to developing and coaching staff and has a wealth of experience in tax, audit, management accounting and financial planning
- Travel to some of the UK’s greatest cities to meet our accommodation teams and put faces to names
- Hands-on experience in a well-run, SOX-compliant accounting function, where you pick up observe good disciplines and practice to stand you in good stead for your future career
- Work shadowing and exposure across the wider finance team
- Working on-site at one of our Pathways Colleges during the busy student enrolment season, where you’ll meet students and gain a better understanding of our customers
- Exposure to month-end accounting and reconciliation processes
- The opportunity to create and implement new processes on the new financial system
- Pursuing your own training and development using Lynda.com.
- Strong motivation for undertaking an internship, with ability to articulate your goals
- Studying for a degree in business, accounting/finance
- Interest in business, accounting and finance, customer service, systems
- Ability to use Excel
- Good level of numeracy
- Excellent eye for detail
- Understanding of what it means to work in a team
- Strong communication skills, in particular listening skills
- Enthusiasm for learning new skills
- Solution-finding mindset
How to apply
Please apply with CV and a covering letter explaining:
- what you are hoping to gain from an internship
- why you’d like to undertake your internship at Kaplan International specifically
- what skills and experience you believe you would bring to the internship
Closing date: 22 June
We may close the vacancy earlier if a suitable applicant is found.