Our job at Kaplan International College London is to prepare international students for university study so they can enjoy successful academic careers as undergraduate and postgraduate students at the University of York, University of Birmingham, Cranfield University, Westminster University, City, University of London and Aston University. It’s a challenging path for our students as they adjust socially and academically and it’s a highly rewarding experience for the members of the KICL team who help to make this transformation happen. In addition to the vibrant learning environment inside the college, Kaplan International College London is located a stone’s throw from Borough Market, London Bridge station and the River Thames.
Develop your academic career with a world-leading global educator
Are you passionate about your subject? Can you make learning fun and accessible for students with different abilities and learning styles?
We are now recruiting a Science and Engineering Tutor to join the existing teaching team. You will be responsible for teaching modules in Engineering, Physics and Mathematics to students on university preparation programmes offered by the College, in particular our new first year undergraduate-level Mechanical and Electrical Engineering programmes. The post will be of particular interest to candidates who enjoy working with international students.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be expected to undertake teaching, administrative and pastoral duties:
Teach students by planning effective teaching to enable learning and progression through:
- Identifying clear teaching objectives and specifying how these will be taught and assessed
- Setting tasks which challenge students and ensure high levels of engagement and interest
- Setting appropriate and demanding expectations, clear targets, and building on prior knowledge and attainment
- Making effective use of assessment and ensure complete coverage of module content
- Ensuring students acquire and consolidate knowledge, skills and understanding relevant to the subject
- Coordinating one or more modules as directed by the Programme Leader for Science and Engineering
- Using and developing the college virtual learning environment (VLE)
- Liaise with the Programme Leader to ensure implementation of all College policies and best practice
Monitoring, Assessment, Recording, Reporting
- Develop, deliver, mark and monitor students’ formative and summative assessments, and set targets for progress where required
- Assess and record students’ progress and keep records as required by the Programme Leader
- Prepare and present information for inclusion in End of Term reports for Sponsors, Parents and Guardians
- Act in the capacity of Personal Tutor to a specified number of students and meet with them on a regular basis
- Alert appropriate staff to problems experienced by students and make recommendations as to how these may be resolved
- Monitor attendance and academic progress
Other Professional Requirements
- Operate at all times within the policies and practices of the College
- Establish effective working relationships and set a good example through personal and professional conduct
- Endeavour to give every student the opportunity to reach their full academic potential and meet high expectations
- Contribute to the life of the College through effective participation in meetings and management systems necessary with which to operate the College smoothly
- Take responsibility for continuing professional development and duties in relation to College policies and procedures
- Carry out other duties as required from time to time by the Programme Leader for Science and Engineering or the Academic Director
The successful candidate will enjoy working with international students, be customer orientated and performance driven. In addition you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Physics, Physical Sciences or Engineering and postgraduate degree is essential, a teaching qualification is desirable
- Experience of teaching on university preparation courses up to Pre-Master’s level or at an equivalent level
- Teaching experience including teaching international students
- A student-centred teaching style
- Experience of developing engaging teaching material
- Demonstrable experience of developing and updating teaching materials, and experience of working with a Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle) is desirable
- Digital literacy skills including experience of delivering content through various media
- Competence in teaching and administrative IT skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail, etc.)
- Passion for and expertise in your area
- Strong rapport building skills
- Attention to detail for record-keeping
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines
- A commitment to continuous professional development
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player
Please apply via our link with your CV and covering letter highlighting why you believe you are suitable for this role. Please indicate whether you wish to be considered for the part-time or full-time role.
Closing date for applications: 27th July.
This appointment will be subject to clearance from the Disclosure Barring Service (formerly CRB). Employment is conditional upon successful DBS clearance and on receiving satisfactory references. Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.