Kaplan International Colleges, part of Kaplan Inc., is a group of 9 colleges in the UK where international students from over 100 countries study, in order to prepare for entry onto UK degree programmes at 12 leading UK universities. Our programmes represent a big investment for our students, who come from more than 50 countries to study with us. Most of our students are recruited through educational agents, located everywhere from Guangzhou to Jeddah. Our recommendation rates are high and we are proud of the thousands of students who progress from our programmes each year to pursue prestigious degree courses.
The company is subject to Sarbanes-Oxley legislation.
Based in our Head Office (West Kensington, London) the role will report to the Head of Revenue and Billing and will work closely with the College operational staff, College Directors as well as with our Head Office and overseas based Admissions teams.
You will be a key member of our finance team with responsibility for administering accurate collection processes. You will be given responsibility for student debt for accounts originating from China and one of our colleges. You will ensure that the student ledger is accurate; outstanding debtor balances are chased on time with repeated follow-ups, if needed; key business partners are kept up to date with debt status and any trends you identify and you will escalate issues and concerns where necessary. The role does require you to be able to travel around the United Kingdom and meet face-to-face with students.
Main responsibilities and functions
- Preparing monthly collections processes within prescribed guidelines. Follow- ups ensure to collect outstanding balances by email, post and telephone
- Issuing copy invoices when required by email or post
- Liaising with relevant Staff and Senior Managers at Colleges to support collection of monies outstanding as required
- Finance meetings with Students during peak enrolment times
- Reviewing accounts for debt and credit write offs in partnership with College Directors
- Updating student accounts where there are agreed changes to a student’s study plan
- Support with processing refunds
- Investigating and clearing of old outstanding balances
- Liaising with internal and external parties to resolve queries as necessary
- Preparing and monitoring payment plans for bill payers (students, parents, agents)
- Fostering and maintaining good business relationships with all stakeholders (internal and external)
- Identifying and recommending process improvements related to own work
- Fluent in both English and Mandarin
- Some knowledge of and experience of working with accounting principles
- Ability / desire to work in a high volume, transactions orientated environment
- Ability to demonstrate organizational savvy in getting things done through formal and informal networks
- Team player with flexibility to work additional hours to complete the task if required, or help out other team members
- “Client” focus
- Excellent, polished communication skills (oral and written) with clients and both financial and non-financial staff
- Ability to manage challenging conversations well
- Extremely accurate and detail-focused
- Language skills
- Excel skills would be beneficial but not required (for example, pivot tables, v-look ups and sumifs)
- Accounting experience to be able to demonstrate comfort with numbers
- Specific credit control experience is desirable.
- Strong interest in processes and systems
- Initiative to identify improvements and drive to deliver change
- Foreign languages , in particular Arabic and Spanish, but any additional languages are of interest
What we will offer you
Employees of Kaplan International enjoy a variety of benefits including a comprehensive pension plan, access to a subsidised café and bar, health and well-being schemes and childcare vouchers. We also offer study support for those completing ACCA, CIMA or similar.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter highlighting why you believe you are suitable for this role, via our online form by 24th August 2018.
Please note that offers of employment are always subject to proof of eligibility to work in the UK and satisfactory reference checks. Additionally, as part of our commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, certain positions will be subject to enhanced DBS checks.