An excellent opportunity has arisen to join our Development team at Kaplan International (KI) as a hands-on Development Lead who will be working closely with the team members based in London and members of the Kaplan ODC team in Vietnam.
The company you’ll be joining is a global education business, part of Kaplan Inc, which provides high quality tuition to students from over 100 countries and employs more than 4000 staff across several continents. For more information, please go to http://careers.kaplaninternational.com
As an experienced Development Lead, you will be working on number of exciting projects developed using PHP/Yii and Angular as well as working and managing our website which is using Wordpress CMS. You will be responsible for both back-end and front-end development, including creating WordPress themes and plugins.
Reporting to the Head of Development Manager, your responsibilities will include:
- Establishing and guiding the website’s architecture
- Designing and implementing new features and functionality
- Ensuring high-performance and availability, and managing all technical aspects of the CMS
- Helping formulate an effective, responsive design and turning it into a working theme and plugin.
- Capable of understanding and contributing to the technical solution from design through to code level
- Working closely with Development Managers and Business Analysts to produce accurate delivery estimates and manage the transition from analysis through to design and delivery
- Define delivery phases of the project including activities, sub-activities, and milestones ensuring these are documented and used as the basis for the project event log, issues and risk log and any subsequent reporting
- Participate in reviews and meetings and provide updates on project progress.
- Take responsibility for ensuring that risks and issues are identified and managed closely and drive all stakeholders to deliver on time and to the required quality standards
Essential skills and experience
- A strong understanding of the latest industry trends and content management systems.
- Considerable experience building user interfaces for websites and/or web applications
- Some experience working as Development Lead, Technical Lead, Technical Manager, Technical Architect. Solution Architect or Development Manager
- Strong knowledge of PHP web frameworks like Yii, Laravel, etc.
- Understanding of MVC design patterns
- Understanding fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Creating database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Familiarity with SQL/NoSQL databases and their declarative query languages
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Knowledge of working with the RESTful APIs
- Thorough understanding of the responsibilities of the platform, database, API, caching layer, proxies, and other web services used in the system
- Ability to work using Agile methodologies.
- Experience of working on a microservice based architecture.
- Working on a cloud based hosting platform like AWS.
- Experience with project/bug management tools like Jira.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly explain complex technical requirements to all levels of the business.
- Ability to think through problems and devise solutions that benefit the company in the long-term.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Self-starter and independent worker.
- Formal and methodical approach to development and writing code.
This role suit someone working as or looking to move in to a role as Development Lead, Technical Lead, Technical Manager, Technical Architect. Solution Architect or Development Manager
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers international students a wide range of flexible study options - from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in student recruitment, our exceptional teaching and a real focus on customer service and pastoral care, each year we are proud to welcome thousands of students from more than 100 countries through the doors of our colleges.
In the UK, we operate 9 campus-based colleges in partnership with Bournemouth University, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, Nottingham Trent University, University of Nottingham, University of Brighton, University of Essex, University of York and University of West of England, Bristol and an off-campus college in London offering pathways to 7 leading well-ranked UK universities.
How to apply
Please apply with CV and covering letter.