Location: Leeds City Centre
Reports to Academic Director
Direct Reports: Curriculum Managers
Kaplan Open Learning
Since 2007 we’ve been delivering University of Essex Online courses to students from all walks of life - from 18 years to 80 years and based in more than 100 countries.
Our students complete their degrees through distance learning using our online resources, undertaking web-based tutorials and lectures on our learning management platform. Our flexible learning model allows students to enrol every month and study at their own pace around their other commitments.
We take pride in providing a first-class learning experience for our students and recently achieved 90% student satisfaction in the National Student Survey and are rated Gold by the UK Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
Summary of Role
Reporting to the Academic Director, the Head of Department will use their own subject knowledge and experience as well as feedback from students, tutors and examiners to drive forward the development of the programmes within their department considering pedagogical approaches appropriate for online delivery. They will line manage a team of Curriculum Managers and will take overall responsibility for the maintenance of academic standards, the currency of the curriculum and the quality of the student experience.
For all programmes within the department:
- Line management of direct reports to ensure appropriate resource is available including staff recruitment, training and development.
- Take overall responsibility for departmental programme development including the ongoing monitoring of the currency of the curriculum and maintenance of academic standards.
- Lead on the application, maintenance and implementation of PSRB accreditation where applicable.
- Liaise with the Programme Support Co-ordinators to provide academic input into the annual monitoring processes including the preparation of Annual Review of Courses and Periodic Review.
- Ensure content for all programmes within the department is relevant and reflects current academic theory and practise and take overall responsibility for approving proposals for course variations.
- Oversee the review and investigation process for allegations of academic misconduct and attend Academic Offence Committees as appropriate.
- Oversee the review process for applications for research proposals and attend Research Ethics Committees as appropriate.
- Oversee the review process for requests for Extenuating Performance (EP) as part of an EP Panel.
- Contribute to decision making as a member of the Pre-Board and Board of Examiners.
- Participate in the following committees and boards:
- Act as a member of the Academic Board
- Attend Partnership Quality and Development Committee (PQDC) as and when required.
- Approve new Associate Tutor appointments and oversee a peer review process taking overall responsibility for tutor performance.
Key Skills and Competencies
- A PhD in a relevant subject or a Masters level qualification in a relevant subject and extensive senior level experience in a relevant sector.
- Experience of teaching in a Higher Education environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to prioritise and co-ordinate own workload and work to set deadlines.
- Willingness to take on additional projects as and when required.
- Experience of programme development in the Higher Education sector.
- Experience of online teaching and/or delivery.
- Relevant Higher Education teaching qualification or willingness to study towards
- HEA Membership
- Research Active
Please apply with a CV and Covering Letter.