Kaplan International College London
Our job at Kaplan International College London is to prepare international students for university study so they can enjoy successful academic careers as undergraduate and postgraduate students at one of our seven university partners: University of York, University of Birmingham, Cranfield University, Westminster University, City, University of London, University of Liverpool in London and Aston University. It’s a challenging path for our students as they adjust socially and academically and it’s a highly rewarding experience for the members of the KICL team who help to make this transformation happen. In addition to the vibrant learning environment inside the college, Kaplan International College London is located a stone’s throw from Borough Market, London Bridge station and the River Thames. To get a flavour of the college, please visit our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/KICLondon/ and for background on the wider company, please visit Kaplan International Pathways.
We are now recruiting for a Law and Politics tutor to join the existing teaching team. You will be responsible for the delivery of a high quality learning experience for students on university preparation programmes offered by the College. The post will be of particular interest to candidates who enjoy working with international students.
Kaplan International Pathways, a division of Kaplan Inc., offers international students a wide range of flexible study options - from University preparation programmes in the UK, Australia, USA, China and Japan through to full degree programmes in Singapore, Hong Kong and Australia. Through our academic partnerships with leading universities, our expertise in student recruitment, our exceptional teaching and a real focus on customer service and pastoral care, each year we are proud to welcome thousands of students from more than 100 countries through the doors of our colleges.
In the UK, we operate 9 campus-based colleges in partnership with Bournemouth University, University of Glasgow, University of Liverpool, Nottingham Trent University, University of Nottingham, University of Brighton, University of Essex, University of York and University of West of England, Bristol and an off-campus college in London offering pathways to 7 leading well-ranked UK universities.
What does the role involve?
Your main responsibilities:
- Providing subject-level expertise in Law and Politics modules to international students studying on programmes offered by the College
- Develop and implement a range of innovative teaching methods including Technology Enhanced Learning that engage and meet the needs of all students
- Develop and implement a range of enrichment and enhancement activities that raise students’ aspirations and achievements using relevant industry and academic networks
- Potential for Module Leadership role for a designated number of modules
- Preparing module examinations and other forms of formative and summative assessment, marking and providing feedback to students
- Assisting with the development and maintenance of the College virtual learning environment (VLE).
- Providing data and feedback for related modules
- Maintaining an accurate and up-to-date record of student attendance and performance and use these to inform reports to stakeholders
- Providing academic and tutorial support as a personal tutor
- Participating in regular meetings with teaching and support staff and representing the College at appropriate events and meetings
- Any other duties as required from time to time by the College Management Team
You'll have the following:
- A demonstrable understanding of the particular needs of international students
- A Bachelor’s degree in the relevant subject or a related subject area.
- Master’s degree in the relevant subjects or a related subject area (desirable)
- A recognised teaching qualification or evidence of successful teaching experience
- Experience of teaching the relevant subjects in post 16 education
- Experience of teaching international students (Desirable)
- Ability to develop and update innovative teaching material including technology-enhanced learning resources
- Competent IT and record-keeping skills. (A keen interest in educational technologies is also highly desirable).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work under pressure to deadlines in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Enthusiasm and motivation to be a performance-driven team player
- Student-centred and client-focused approach
This appointment will be subject to clearance from the Disclosure Barring Service (formerly CRB). Employment is conditional upon successful DBS clearance and on receiving satisfactory references. Applicants must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Please apply via our online form.
The college reserves the right to invite candidates to interview as applications are received.
Start date: 15th April 2019 and/or 1st September 2019